Ogden Smith Chelt

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
PondLife
Perch

Ogden Smith Chelt

Post by PondLife »

I have an Ogden SmIth Chelt with a fibreglass tip section. From all the information I've read on the Chelt it should have a split cane tip. So has my rod become a bitsa or is it possible some Chelts left the factory with fibreglass tip sections.

Wamfess
Ruffe

Re: Ogden Smith Chelt

Post by Wamfess »

Just picked up on this. My catalogue of late 1920's says the Chelt should have a 'wood' tip. Probably Lancewood, maybe greenheart.
Hope this helps.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Wamfess wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:43 pm Just picked up on this. My catalogue of late 1920's says the Chelt should have a 'wood' tip. Probably Lancewood, maybe greenheart.
Hope this helps.
May I ask what is the length of ‘The Chelt’ in your catalogue?
I recently bought and refurbished a lovely little 10’ 6” 3-piece rod for my roach fishing. Whole cane butt, whole cane spliced into whole cane middle section, and a greenheart or lancewood spliced into whole cane tip.
The butt cap stamped Ogden Smiths, but there is no name on the rod itself, and I would love to be able to attribute a name to it!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I have a 12ft "Chelt" which has a Spanish reed butt section, whole cane middle and split cane tip - an interesting combination. It's a very good grayling trotting rod. It sounds like they made several different versions of the rod.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”