Homers News of the World Champions Rod Finished.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Homers News of the World Champions Rod Finished.

Post by Fredline »

When I bought this rod it was 2 pieces, the handle and the top mottled section. The tip had been broken at the splice, the rings had all gone and the ferrules were knackered. This 10ft rod was awarded to William Clews in September 1932 by the News of the World for a 3lb roach. It was the newspapers fish of the week. Not surprising really. This is one of three rods that I had put aside for restoration at a later date. Anyway 5 years later they are all finished. The other 2 are a Homers Cycle rod and a 9ft 2 piece Sowerbutts that I have shown previously. The tip I added will make this rod a perfect silver fish/roach rod. I added a nice set of "Lockfast" ferrules, a butt ring from the period and lower bells life guides. I had to add the mottling where the nodes were as I did not wrap them for uniformity and they appeared as a clear gap. A small jewellers torch is the perfect tool for this. It is whipped throughout in black with just a touch of gold each side of the logo. The Triform intermediates are a nod to Mr Homer and his brother in law Mr Sowerbutts.
No nodes were harmed in the making of this video.
ImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Homers News of the World Champions Rod Finished.

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Have you been stubbing your fags out on that one John?

That's a lovely looking rod, it would certainly be one to display if you were that way inclined.

Top quality workmanship, beautiful finish, well done indeed :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Lovely job John, the time you put into it really shows.
A slow start, but as they say The wine maturing on thats vats is always worth the wait.
I wish I had your patience.
What a cracking rod with a nice story to it to.
"Marvellous"
Mark Aka Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Looks very nice indeed :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Superb job John, it looks great! 👌👍
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

A lovely bit of history John, you have made a fine job of it too, go out and catch something on it :fishing1:

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”