Constable of Bromley - History and Models

The Constable Of Bromley Rods forum.
Parabolic
Dace

Re: Constable of Bromley - History and Models

Post by Parabolic »

Added Embassy fly rod and Phoenix beachcaster.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Cliff and Cathy Constable used to run a tackle shop in Woolwich called 'Keanes'.

That was in the 1970s and I think they ran it until they retired. A fellow called Ray (who was also a lab technician at my school) also used to work for them, I recall.

It was a great shop and Cliff sold me a 13' glass Constable match rod called the 'Reliant'. I still use it occasionally.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

John Milford wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 am Cliff and Cathy Constable used to run a tackle shop in Woolwich called 'Keanes'.

That was in the 1970s and I think they ran it until they retired. A fellow called Ray (who was also a lab technician at my school) also used to work for them, I recall.

It was a great shop and Cliff sold me a 13' glass Constable match rod called the 'Reliant'. I still use it occasionally.
Interesting post..
I work in Bromley and know both of the locations of Constables and Dawsons of Bromley...
Most of the rod builders worked for Marco's at one time or another.
I met a very nice man last year who's brother in law was a rod maker at Dawsons.,
Not trying to digress... The shop at Woolwich... almost like a shack but so interesting!
I wasn't a regular but found it a lovely old type of angling shop that sold everything.
I'm not sure when Clifford left but my last visit to that shop was around 1987.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Mr B wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:36 pm
John Milford wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 am Cliff and Cathy Constable used to run a tackle shop in Woolwich called 'Keanes'.

Interesting post..
I work in Bromley and know both of the locations of Constables and Dawsons of Bromley...
Most of the rod builders worked for Marco's at one time or another.
I met a very nice man last year who's brother in law was a rod maker at Dawsons.,
Not trying to digress... The shop at Woolwich... almost like a shack but so interesting!
I wasn't a regular but found it a lovely old type of angling shop that sold everything.
I'm not sure when Clifford left but my last visit to that shop was around 1987.
Mr B
It was a small shop indeed Mr B, but one of my favourites! Everything stocked there seemed to be 'just right' and carefully chosen with sound angling experience and sold with friendly help and advice.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes.... they also catered for the sea fishing enthusiast in the area..
My last visit I picked up 20, 12 /0 Mustard Kirbyed ( not sure of spelling) Conger hooks... I still have some of them.
He had everything there, all kinds of tackles, and bait from maggots to sea fishing baits.
Lovely man.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Constable Of Bromley Cane Rods”