Bait Addatives? Yea or Nay?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
John Milford
Grayling

Re: Bait Addatives? Yea or Nay?

Post by John Milford »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:29 pm
Aitch wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:56 am I use a few... scopex being one, and some of the Nut flavoured oils for pellets... they seem to get the fish's heads down... especially the almond ones

My choice of Scopex was Rods - with so many supplying a version of the Hutchinson original I will change when the last dregs of my genuine bottle are gone
You'd be amazed to see what carp anglers will pay these days for vintage bottles of the original old bait flavours Ian.

You might have the carpy equivalent of a Chateau Mouton Rothschild '45! :Hahaha:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a Rod Hutchinson Catchum Ice Cream flavour - - years old - but still smells of - ice-cream! Used vary sparingly!

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Interesting thread. I take the rather prosaic view that fish recognise some things as food, which might be a combination of smells/odours/colour/appearance and these can be divided into:

‘completely natural foods’, that is, insects, crustaceans, worms etc.

‘food fish have learned is food’, so bread, sweetcorn etc.

‘things fish readily accept as food’ as they smell/taste a bit like food, due to common odours or scents – so for example, cockles are enough like natural food they are ‘instant’ baits, despite coarse fish never seeing a cockle in the wild.

Once a fish has been trained to eat a new food in any category it’ll tuck in until it’s been trained not to (by being caught). It may forget that danger association in time.

If, say, the bait is plain bread, adding custard powder isn’t magic, it’s just a slightly new sort of food, retaining enough of the signals to be recognised as food but without a previously learned association with danger.

It’s possible there is some ‘magic additive’, but it seems more likely that ‘additivities’ simply change a food associated with danger to one that is not so far associated with danger, although it may also be the ‘additive’ might simply dissolve well in water and spread the scent around a bit, making it more likely the fish will find the bait.

Any additive, if used by everyone, would probably become ineffective eventually. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Evening One and All,
I have not posted for awhile,but have been popping in to see how your season is progressing and all the other related subjects.
I will have to admit I was a regular user of Archie Braddocks products,mainly in the chase for a 6lb Trent chub.
DID THEY WORK.....on reflection I don't know if it was the addition of the products ,good fortune,my knowledge of the stretch of water I fish?
I did catch my 6lb chub,12lb Barbel,perch over 4lb whilst using baits with AB products.
To balance this in more recent seasons I use non flavoured baits and the fish still seem to like them.
My approach for a more simple way to fish and sheer enjoyment of time on the bank is the goal these days.
Enjoy your fishing whatever your do.
All the best-Nige.

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Post by Mike Crompton »

Greetings,
I recall in the 1960’s that Aniseed oil was the flavour of the month. A few drops on to bread flake or massaged into bread paste had the Thames roach feeding well. I think the flow of water helped to extract the alluring flavours for it was not as efficient on still waters. Or it could be other reasons that I did not fill my boots. Dont know if it is available these days…perhaps I could crush up some Aniseed Balls!
Mike

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”