Cardinal 66 problem

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: Cardinal 66 problem

Post by BeechmereLake »

John Milford wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:41 pm I've just bought a 66 from an online seller and disappointingly it is knackered!

While it was described as in "good working condition" it was immediately obvious that the spool did not oscillate, other than an occasional pathetic twitch!

Whipping the cover off immediately revealed that the clamp on the end of the oscillating arm off the main gear was broken and detached from the spindle.

Simple, but unfortunately critical. :(

Obviously, I've contacted the seller, but does anyone know if this is replaceable/repairable?

Screenshot_20230807-133518_Photos~2.jpg
John this part is a common failure on the 66, 77 and the 66X and 77X, the part number is 8631, they are not an easy find and one part I spend it seems my life chasing, I do have them here but not in any quantity so tend to keep them for when reels require a service, guys like "Olly" who send me reels have had them in the past and right now I have 8 Cardinal 66 reels a 66X and 77X heading to me from Ireland where a local ghillie uses them for his trips out on the lochs, out of all those reels I reckon 2 or 3 will need that part replacing. Now a while ago a guy from Italy did metal conversions for that part, sold them on eBay but I have not seen them in a while, maybe someone can shine a light on that part if they have seen them in more recent times.
I will add that there is one for sale on eBay buy a reputable seller from Sweden but its a used part and there will be no guarantee it wont break when you use it, this is one part I wont put a guarantee on even though mine are unused and NOS, Abu and plastic parts just never got on from the time they started building Cardinals in the mid 60's to early 80's, hope this helps you out as this part if you buy one could easily break just putting it in your reel, If you do find one I would saok it in a thin oil for a week before fitting it :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Thanks for the very knowledgeable advice BeechmereLake. :Hat:

(I'll pm you about my poorly 66).
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

John Milford wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:54 am Thanks for the very knowledgeable advice BeechmereLake. :Hat:

(I'll pm you about my poorly 66).
OK John, good news is I have managed to find half a dozen original parts from a great friend in Italy, your reel can be repaired :Hat:

"BB"

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I had the same problem and bought a brass replacement from Italy, check the internet. It was easy to fit and unbreakable. But that was before I knew about Beechmere Lake.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Marc wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:02 pm
Olly wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:48 pm It is - Beechmere Lake - is your man.

He has repaired several of my both 66s & 77s - a couple I think with the same fault. It is not an uncommon issue.

He is quick and highly efficient in his work!
Does he do closed faced ABU reels? I have about half a dozen 506 that are in need of some form of TLC.

Marc.
Marc, Sorry I missed your post here, I dont do the closed face reels but there is a guy who I cant recommend highly enough, what he does with these reels is pretty much incredible, I work with him on Facebook admin for a group called Abu Closed Face Reels, his name is Terry Trueman from Birmingham way, if you do Facebook then join the group and you can contact him, I dont have a number for him to give out without his permission :Hat:

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”