Ever do this when you're alone at home??

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Ever do this when you're alone at home??

Post by Dave Burr »

You lot need to get a hobby :chuckle:

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Buller wrote:Greentura, you don't need a room, you need help!!!
No, defiantly need a room, used to have one but with 4 kids it got taken as a bedroom. The '50 shades of cane' fetish pics are for insurance purposes :wink: as opposed to 'twiddling with my tackle' :hahaha:

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

Loop Erimder wrote:Ooooooh to have a basement tackle man cave would be fantastic
I sort of have one.... Well, a cellar/basement anyway. Trouble is mine is damp. Too damp for storing anything long term. However, I do have plans to damp proof this cellar. Once it's done it should be a wonderful place to work and keep my bits of tackle.

So, any builders on here who know the best stuff to brush onto bare brick in order to create a damp proof barrier? Bearing in mind the walls all have soil directly on the other side :(
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

In Canada, where most houses have cellars, they waterproof from the outside, I'm afraid.

Anything else is a compromise. If you waterproof from the inside the brickbork can no longer breathe.

It can be done, but I'd back it up with a de-humidifyer. Mine has been working non-stop for 20 years now and pulls a gallon of water out of my workshop air every month.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Nobby wrote:In Canada, where most houses have cellars, they waterproof from the outside, I'm afraid.

Anything else is a compromise. If you waterproof from the inside the brickbork can no longer breathe.

It can be done, but I'd back it up with a de-humidifyer. Mine has been working non-stop for 20 years now and pulls a gallon of water out of my workshop air every month.
Likewise. To get my cellar humidity to acceptable levels I have a dehumidifier running constantly (300W). It pulls a gallon (4 litres) a day! :o but the humidity is now acceptable. Unfortunately it cost about £5 a week to run but it makes the cellar usable and is a lot cheaper than having it tanked.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

This is my dilemna. Mrs kevanf1 pays the bills and she is at bet unhappy about my bait fridge/freezer being on so a dehumidifier might cause extreme matrimonial unrest :(

It looks like my idea might just have to remain that. An idea..
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Every now and then I get a rod or two out and put a reel but I've not got as far as taking photographs of them.

However, I'm surprised to see images of cane rods standing up against walls and that kind of thing. I didn't think they liked it.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

Beresford wrote:However, I'm surprised to see images of cane rods standing up against walls and that kind of thing. I didn't think they liked it.
They certainly don't over the long term, but shouldn't take any hurt for the time it takes to pop off a few photos.

GarryProcter
Arctic Char

Post by GarryProcter »

On the subject of cellars, our (Victorian terraced) house had a very wet cellar when we bought it, and we had it tanked. As Snape says, it was very expensive. But it really was wet - the previous owners had stepping stones in it to get to the electricity and gas meters!

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”