Alex Martin rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
OldAngler
Perch

Alex Martin rods

Post by OldAngler »

Does anyone know anything about Alex Martin rods of Glasgow?

I have a split cane 8 ft 4 inch three piece fly rod to renovate, probably a 4 weight, which may be an Alex Martin. It has a (possibly original) cloth rod bag with a label which reads,(as far as I can tell),
'Alex Martin
------- rod maker
Glasgow'

Many thanks, Old Angler

Liphook
Barbel

Re: Alex Martin rods

Post by Liphook »

I remember going into their shop (George Square?) as a small boy. Sorry to say I know very little about their cane rods but will watch this with interest. A true #4 rod from any UK manufacturer would be a fairly rare thing, most were #5 and up from what I've come across

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I have a few Alex Martin catalogues from the early to late 1950s and they all list these rods but no 8ft 4in rod.
I think the rod No 1011 at the bottom of page five is likely to be your rod.

They also list a 7ft 0in two piece brook rod. Rod No 1013 named "The Burn" and weighing just 4oz.
Also rod No1012 "The Pocket" a five piece, 8ft.0in weighing 5 3/4 oz.

Wal.

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Thank you for the information.

I am guessing about the 4 weight rating but my micrometer says it is lighter / thinner than another fly rod which I have and which has 5 weight written on by the manufacturer, a Palace 5, made by Frobisher of Liverpool. I think the (possible) Alex Martin was originally 8 ft 6 ins.

Any further info welcome.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Liphook wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:06 pm I remember going into their shop (George Square?) as a small boy. Sorry to say I know very little about their cane rods but will watch this with interest. A true #4 rod from any UK manufacturer would be a fairly rare thing, most were #5 and up from what I've come across
Royal exchange square, shop long long gone. High quality rods and now very rare due to time, and numbers originally made. Game and fly were the main market but they also did good coarse rods along with Arthur Allen, and Mallochs of Perth. Milbro were in the suburbs around where Daiwa still are

:tea:
niceroach

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think most if not all the coarse rods they sold were bought in. Mostly Edgar Sealey rods renamed such as the Octofloat renamed the Martofloat.

Like all tackle dealers they sold their version of the ever popular 7ft Litecaster which were almost certainly supplied by Allcocks.

The Scotia variants are possibly made by Sharpes of Aberdeen. I have seen the exact same rods in Sharpes catalogues and some in James B Walker of Newcastle, catalogues, who also sold rebadged Sealey rods.

Wal.

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Post by Chelsea »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageI have an Alex Martin “ The Pike “ which Steve Boncey restored for me roughly 13 years ago. He done an amazing job on it. I’ve never used it since I got it back from him.
I did have a look at it a couple of weeks ago and something I hadn’t noticed before was the original writing had been removed? I’m assuming this happened when he took the varnish off. It’s been replaced with a clear transfer with the wording on….Shame really.
Not at home at the minute but here’s some pics from his website of it.
He said it was circa 1940s ? Would you know if that’s about right, Wal?

Regards

Dan

Chelsea
Gudgeon

Post by Chelsea »

Sorry one of the pics is a Wizard he done for me also..

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”