Eggington and sons rod restoration help needed

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Chubman
Crucian Carp

Eggington and sons rod restoration help needed

Post by Chubman »

I have acquired a 12 ft Spanish Reed rod made by eggersons and sons,spliced in split cane top,the rod is very sound apart from rusty rings, the problem I have is rust marks and water stain,not wanting to keep scraping away anymore of the bamboo to remove stains,would bleach work or any other chemical do the job?

Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Eggington and sons rod restoration help needed

Post by Moley »

Rust and waterstains inveigle themselves into the wood, sometimes quite deeply, thus making removal nigh on impossible.

Personally this Fatty would put the replacement rings in the same place as they were and make the whippings a little larger to cover up the blemishes. Several rods in my possession have been done this way to prevent further damage to the timber and look okay.

You can go to great lengths to disguise the blemishes including sanding carefully or painting out the marks with cane coloured paint and heavy varnish if you find the marking intolerable. However with old cane causing more damage to the wood can lead to delamination or the wretched rod snapping at inappropriate moments.

Having caused the demise of rods this way, stick to the easy method, first mentioned. Also with positive thought the markings instead of being regarded as unsightly, are battle scars befitting an aged rod.

Hope this is helpful.

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Crucian
Eel

Re: Eggington and sons rod restoration help needed

Post by Crucian »

Good advice Moley, I would do the same.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”