Fly Fishing (Coarse and Trout)

General fly fishing chat area.
Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Fly Fishing (Coarse and Trout)

Post by Nigel Rainton »

WM+

"perhaps we might meet one day on the river next season and I might learn some new casting skills from you..?"

I would like that, we have much to talk about, your experience on the local rivers far exceeds mine :-)

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I'd opt for a 9' rod, possibly a relatively cheap 5-6#, and practice on a bigger venue and have casting lessons before trying to tackle a small overgrown river that has its own set of obstacles to deal with. Best get the casting styles sorted first on a fly fishing friendly venue before trying to deal with more difficult situations. And remember you're a novice so give yourself time to learn the art!

And before you decide on a more expensive set up you need to decide your approach, as to whether you're going to need waders or not.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I'm not an expert fly fisherman by a long shot but have fished a good few rivers and small streams over the years.
My first fly rod was hollow glass and 8ft long.
I used that for everything from the age of 13.
Small streams and rivers in Wales the Lake District and Camping wild in Scotland with my parents.
My line was far to heavy for such a nice little rod ( I didn't know any different then)
I still have that rod.
My other rod is 9ft.
I have changed my line over the years and got a couple more reels.
"My opinion" is.,. An 8ft rod with balanced outfit.. and a 9 ft rod ( and balanced outfit) for a wider river.
Well.... that'l do me..... i did say me.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Thanks for the input. I have an kind offer to acquire a second hand 9 foot outfit No. 3 so will try that initially.

More info needed - I have a set of breathable chest waders but they need replacing - any brands recommended? as with all things these days I prefer to go on recommendation.

Return to “General Fly Chat”