Teal and black (wet tutorial)

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

Teal and black (wet tutorial)

Post by Ian »

This fly is one of the most versatile patterns in a fly wallet. I would say it could be used in March,April and may,then again during the months of September and October. I’ve tied this one on a size 8 since i need to tie a few in this size for the lochs when the alder hatches in September/October.
A teal and black this size can be a winner even in high summer,when the fish aren’t active,but will get annoyed enough by it to provoke an attack,usually by a bigger fish.
Tied in smaller size 14s,and even 16s,this pattern can represent any small dark fly with speckled wings,smuts.
They are so easy to tie too,as you can see by the materials list.

Last edited by Ian on Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Re: Teal and black

Post by Iasgair »

Really? You're not going to get any easier of a great fly to tie than this. Great job Ian. The wing looks perfect.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:21 am Really? You're not going to get any easier of a great fly to tie than this. Great job Ian. The wing looks perfect.
Finding the right teal feather to fit what one is looking for is the hardest thing about tying this fly iasgair. The only difference with tying this style and Clyde style is that a true Clyde style teal and black would be tied by stripping a bunch of the teal fibres from the quill and tying them in at a 45 degree angle to the hook shank. I prefer this for representing the alder fly which is a very common fly come sept/oct.

Remember the video I sent you where I was fishing the fast run on the burn and I hooked a trout within a couple of casts,if it wasn’t the first cast,well this was the fly I was using,only on a size 8 instead of a size 6 that I’ve tied this on. This fly works iasgair,and during any point in the summer unless the trout are being particularly fussy. I would even go as far as saying it’s my favourite fly and I would happily go fishing with only a couple of these in my possession.

There are thousands and thousands of wet fly patterns out there,and I doubt any are as good as this pattern,and that includes the Stewart’s spider.
Not in the uk at least.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Another great tutorial for a great all rounder pattern Ian :Hat:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Liphook wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:10 pm Another great tutorial for a great all rounder pattern Ian :Hat:
Aye,a great allrounder as you say Liphook. :Hat:

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

This is the dry version.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Now that has my attention!! That looks amazing Ian.

I take it that the two little fibers under the hook eye are little feelers?
That's a large head, is it thread or some other material?

If I tied that, it would be with my other display flies just so I could look at it and try to copy it when tying that fly again.

Well done.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Iasgair wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:39 pm Now that has my attention!! That looks amazing Ian.

I take it that the two little fibers under the hook eye are little feelers?
That's a large head, is it thread or some other material?

If I tied that, it would be with my other display flies just so I could look at it and try to copy it when tying that fly again.

Well done.
They are legs two front legs under the eye iasgair and the two long feelers.
The head is just 8/0 black uni built up iasgair. The natural has a good proportion of its upper body beyond the wing. :Hat:

Return to “Fly Tying”