Superstitions

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

Superstitions

Post by Iasgair »

I'm not one for such things, but like baseball, fishing has it's share of superstitions. For example, never put a banana in your boat, or always spit on your worms before you cast them in the water. And I'm sure every state here in the USA and the in UK and Europe have many more that I have not heard of. But I recently heard of one that I'm not so sure about, and maybe you know more than I on this because I have not payed attention to this at all personally.

The superstition of you will never catch a trout during the day when the moon is visible.

What??????

Ok, like I said, I have not payed attention to this, but have any of you noticed this happening? I don't know about you, but when I'm fishing I don't have time to be star gazing during the day because I have more important things to keep an eye on here in the Rocky Mountains. I do believe in the moon phases because I found that fishing three days before and after a new moon is terrific and the same for a full moon. But fishing not being good while the moon is out during the day is a new one on me. They say it's because the fish can see the moon. I call hogwaddle on that one. I just don't see how this superstition can be true.

Any comments?
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Re: Superstitions

Post by JAA »

Iasgair wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:19 am But fishing not being good while the moon is out during the day is a new one on me. They say it's because the fish can see the moon. I call hogwaddle on that one. I just don't see how this superstition can be true.

Any comments?
There are a number of insect species in which hatching correlates with moon phases. Quick look on google scholar will find a couple. e.g.

THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LUNAR PHASES AND THE EMERGENCE OF THE ADULT BROOD OF INSECTS" (NOWINSZKY, PETRÁNYI & PUSKÁS. 2010)

It might be there is a tenuous relation ship between 'some insect hatch' and trout feeding, which superficially will look like a moon thing.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Never fish a towpath at night, whatever the phases of the moon. Doubly so if a full moon 🌖

Not sure if this qualifies as superstition or self preservation.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Ah, that explains why I'm not catching much. My friend keeps bringing bananas onto the punt to have with his lunch. I plan to fish alone this weekend so I'll see if that helps.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I have struggled, when barbel fishing. on those days when the moon is showing prior to being full.

I have had superstitions, still have one or two but, I found when I fished a lot and got a bit better at it, they held very little water. One I do believe in is that if I blank, it's the fish's fault.

Works for me

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

JAA wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 am
Iasgair wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:19 am But fishing not being good while the moon is out during the day is a new one on me. They say it's because the fish can see the moon. I call hogwaddle on that one. I just don't see how this superstition can be true.

Any comments?
There are a number of insect species in which hatching correlates with moon phases. Quick look on google scholar will find a couple. e.g.

THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN LUNAR PHASES AND THE EMERGENCE OF THE ADULT BROOD OF INSECTS" (NOWINSZKY, PETRÁNYI & PUSKÁS. 2010)

It might be there is a tenuous relation ship between 'some insect hatch' and trout feeding, which superficially will look like a moon thing.
Now this clearly debunks this superstition. I had no idea the moon had anything to do with the emergence of insects. This makes perfect sense to me better than the fish see the moon.

Thank you. :Hat:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Santiago wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:04 am Ah, that explains why I'm not catching much. My friend keeps bringing bananas onto the punt to have with his lunch. I plan to fish alone this weekend so I'll see if that helps.

You will never see any bananas in any boats during bass fishing contests. It's highly frowned upon.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Iasgair wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:12 pm
Santiago wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:04 am Ah, that explains why I'm not catching much. My friend keeps bringing bananas onto the punt to have with his lunch. I plan to fish alone this weekend so I'll see if that helps.

You will never see any bananas in any boats during bass fishing contests. It's highly frowned upon.
I can’t speak to the various Bass on your side of the pond but my regular lunchtime banana has never stopped me catching the European bass (Dicentrarchus labrax)! Plenty of other things have but never the banana :Wink:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “General Fly Chat”