Milwards "Octavia or Hexacane" Rod

The Milwards Rods forum.
Michael
Tench

Milwards "Octavia or Hexacane" Rod

Post by Michael »

I've been given a Milward rod and I am attempting to find out more about it.
On the rod, hand written in black ink is Milward - Octavia, on the rod bag, on the Milward label, is Hexacane. The rods been renovated to a reasonable standard, original cane, but I presume the length has been altered . A three piece, whole cane butt 44 3/4", split cane middle 38 3/4" and top section 39". Appears a beefed up float/avon in appearance.
Any information gratefully accepted

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Milwards "Octavia or Hexacane" Rod

Post by Nobby »

A new one on me....does the handwriting all look the same? Milward rod usually only had either no name, just a Milward armoured arm crest transfer, or a specially dedicated transfer with the rod name on. Any handwriting was usually serial numbers and the length of the rod, sometimes a little more, such as " 12' 6" S.F.R Pat. applied for ". and all this was usually in white writing.

Hexacane was their trade name and appeared on many rods and bags they provided for other outlets, such as Gamages of High Holborn. These items often not bearing the Milward name at all.

Incidentally, S.F.R stands for 'staggered ferrule rod' and they above all makers seem not to have been over concerned about rod lengths being equal, often providing a super-long ferrule plug for the shorter section to stop it rattling around in the rod bag. They were more concerned with putting the ferrule and counter where it would least impact on the rods curve when playing a fish.

It just might be that your rod is just as they intended it.........

There does appear to be a few Octavia Milwards resident in Worcestershire, but in the last bar one century.

Michael
Tench

Re: Milwards "Octavia or Hexacane" Rod

Post by Michael »

Nobby wrote:A new one on me....does the handwriting all look the same? Milward rod usually only had either no name, just a Milward armoured arm crest transfer, or a specially dedicated transfer with the rod name on. Any handwriting was usually serial numbers and the length of the rod, sometimes a little more, such as " 12' 6" S.F.R Pat. applied for ". and all this was usually in white writing.

Hexacane was their trade name and appeared on many rods and bags they provided for other outlets, such as Gamages of High Holborn. These items often not bearing the Milward name at all.

Incidentally, S.F.R stands for 'staggered ferrule rod' and they above all makers seem not to have been over concerned about rod lengths being equal, often providing a super-long ferrule plug for the shorter section to stop it rattling around in the rod bag. They were more concerned with putting the ferrule and counter where it would least impact on the rods curve when playing a fish.

It just might be that your rod is just as they intended it.........

There does appear to be a few Octavia Milwards resident in Worcestershire, but in the last bar one century.
Yes the hand writing is all the same and I presume applied when it was renovated. I agree it would have helped if they had kept any identifying marks/numbers etc, but I suppose, if they were "creating" a new rod from an existing rod, whomever would remove them?. It'll make a nice chub, light barbel rod.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”