Normal service is resumed!

This forum is for discussing tench.
Catfish.017
Eel

Normal service is resumed!

Post by Catfish.017 »

The title is pertinent in so far as it alludes to the Tench reverting to their fickle ways after a brief period of co operation on the Daw End Canal. My neighbour Russ expressed an interest in joining me on my next visit. Being mainly a Carp angler he fancied a change so we went this morning, arriving at first light just after 5.00 am.
We settled in to two swims around fifteen yards apart. I stole a march on him with my rod already assembled and got a two pound Bream first cast! A false dawn sadly as everything went quiet for a long time. Two hours in I was on my third swim and Russ was enjoying himself catching little Perch and Rudd on my maggots!
Back to the second swim and a lovely big fizz of bubbles announced the possible presence of my quarry? Soft weed on the bottom was making things difficult so I switched to lift method and popped up a piece of crust a couple of inches. It was out a little while when the float tilted backwards before absolutely whistling away, a typical spooky Tench bite which needless to say I missed. On to swim number four where I missed another screamer before hooking and losing another Bream.
From then on I just did the rounds, fishing in an increasingly robotic fashion, all hope evaporated. Russ got a nice pound Perch as compensation. We packed around 10.45am and walked slowly back peering into the water as we went. We didn't get far, stopped in our tracks by a Pike sitting in my second swim. I prodded it with my rod top and it sidled slowly away disturbing two quite big Tench as it did so! The ultimate poke in the eye!

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”