Hardy Longstone Centrpin Range

The Hardy Reels forum.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Hardy Longstone Centrpin Range

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chaps, Any opinions on the Longstone models, it appears they went from 3.5'' up to 5'' made from alloy and not painted, have been looking on the various 'vintage' dealers sites and they look reasonably good value, but look a little 'clunky/heavy ? they don't appear suitable for trotting ? has any member used or even handled one ?

Tight lines Dave

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Hardy Longstone Centrpin Range

Post by Paul F »

I thought it was a sea fishing reel?

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

It was primarily a sea reel with a central drag nut and ratchet . Remember if any line gets tangled behind the spool you have to unscrew central nut etc , it can be a pain . K R . W B .

MHC

Post by MHC »

Hardy catalogue copy from 1937.

The 'Longstone' reels.

'For trolling or casting in sea, loch or rivers, also makes a good fly reel

Made of special metal, which is impervious to the action of fresh or salt water. They are suitable for almost any kind of fishing. An invaluable reel to a man who is travelling, and not know what fishing he will do…etc

The regulating nutB on spindle, is made so that it cannot fall off. This nut gives any pressure required for casting, and will hold the line drum when fishing in a strong current or break a heavy fish. The line drum has a broad rounded rim for hand control.

Sizes: 31/2", 4", 4 1/2", 5", 6"

The frame is fitted with a (n/silver) Bickerdyke line guard. Sizes 31/2" to 41/2" for general river and loch work, 4 1/2" to 6" for trolling and sea fishing. They are most excellent sea reels for all kinds of fishing. For casting from a pier or from the shore they have no equal.'

Personally I would use the reel for heavier applications. It would not be suitable as a trotting reel in my opinion but in the 4" size would be useful for pike fishing from a boat or standing on the weir sill floating a deadbait about under a float (if they still permit that). Being a Hardy the Longstone is beautifully made, drums were machined to tight tolerences so line going behind has not happened to me, there is no space for line to enter. Earlier models had perforated clear alloy drums with blackleaded backs with brass feet. Later models (into the 80's) had non perforated clear alloy drums with painted grey backs.

My Longstone is a 1928 4" model, drum 1 3/16" wide, Centre screw and adjustor are N/silver and beautifully made and smooth as butter. If you find one like it snap it up. I use mine for salmon trolling on my 10' Hardy R Walker Carp #2 glass rod. A few nights ago I managed a salmon of almost 30lbs on the outfit.

L R Hardy caught his largest (fly caught) salmon of 40lbs on a Longstone reel during the 1930's.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Is that crush-proof metal edging on the box, Malcolm? Nothing but the best for a Hardy product!

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Thanks Chaps for the in depth info, a 4.5'' was at a local auction last week, after looking at average prices being asked at 'vintage' dealers and not being able to attend the viewing or auction in person I decided to leave it, once I know what it fetched I will put it on here, after reading Malcolms piece though I wished I had gone for it or at least submitted a written bid !
Tight lines Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Chaps, it went for £75 plus buyers commission / vat, I should have gone and bid, would have gone a bit more....but so may the others !
Tight lines Dave

OhMyGoodness
Bleak

Post by OhMyGoodness »

Early Longstone reels were perforated drums with a single or double row of holes.

Return to “Hardy Reels”