Craftversa, just how many?

The Milwards Rods forum.
PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Craftversa, just how many?

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Olly wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:00 pm I have an Avon Perfection - all split cane - lovely rod.

VFM = value for money.
Olly I bought a B.James all split cane Avon Perfection after I had bought a B.James Kennet Perfection. Initially I was somewhat disappointed with the all split cane Avon Perfection as I thought it was terribly sloppy in its action (waggling) but what a transformation when hooked into a good fish - sloppiness gone and a splendid through battle action. Bob Brookes took a series of photos of this rod in action when we were at Stockton fishing for Crucians and I ended up with a 20lb Carp which Bob kindly netted for me.Image

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too enjoy using the Avon P but I think I would panic a bit with a big carp on it! It is usually used for trotting for roach, chub and bits. And your description of floppy fits the rod exactly! That is a lovely curve on the rod - but the water seems very clear of snags - so maybe all the time in the world to play the fish!

I would prefer to use one of my LRH 2s or a 550 (one ended up all out of sinc after a 15lber) or an Aspindale Goldendale when specifically carping.

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Olly wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:21 pm I too enjoy using the Avon P but I think I would panic a bit with a big carp on it! It is usually used for trotting for roach, chub and bits. And your description of floppy fits the rod exactly! That is a lovely curve on the rod - but the water seems very clear of snags - so maybe all the time in the world to play the fish!

I would prefer to use one of my LRH 2s or a 550 (one ended up all out of sinc after a 15lber) or an Aspindale Goldendale when specifically carping.
Olly not all the time in the world sadly - the biggest problem is keeping them out of the reeds which are between each platform or worse still letting them get under the platform - which is goodnight Vienna. I have had a couple of large Carp on the Avon P whilst fishing for Crucians or Tench generally on 4lb bs line so it is a matter of being careful and applying pressure sensibly when you have to. My Avon P remains dead straight with no droops or sets. I have also had Common Carp to 16lbs or thereabouts on the Craftversa also using 4lb line also whilst Crucian and Tench fishing. Just seems that most waters now have Common and Mirror Carp in them - I am told that is what anglers want these days!!! I must be an exception I guess.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I have a couple of easy carp waters - - for days when I need to catch after a few blanks! :Hat:

I like carp - stalking - floaters - etc - - but no longer sitting behind a buzzer or three for a week or so! Nothing better than watching a fish take your bait! :Wink:

A lazy day being sociable - a night after carp/moggies - an evening - but no longer camping for days - - unless in France!

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”