ABU Cardinal 6X serial numbers

The ABU Reels forum.
Coral Maestro
Chub

ABU Cardinal 6X serial numbers

Post by Coral Maestro »

While doing some research on my recently acquired ABU Cardinal 6X I came across the following:
which interestingly has the same serial number as mine:
From what I've read this means that both reels were manufactured in September 1980. So, theoretically, this suggests that a large number of ABU reels could have the same serial number depending on how many were manufactured in that particular month.
I thought that the purpose of a serial number was to uniquely identify an item but I guess that ABU didn't see it this way.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Re: ABU Cardinal 6X serial numbers

Post by BeechmereLake »

Coral Maestro wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:31 am While doing some research on my recently acquired ABU Cardinal 6X I came across the following:
which interestingly has the same serial number as mine:
From what I've read this means that both reels were manufactured in September 1980. So, theoretically, this suggests that a large number of ABU reels could have the same serial number depending on how many were manufactured in that particular month.
I thought that the purpose of a serial number was to uniquely identify an item but I guess that ABU didn't see it this way.
All reels made on a certain day in a certain month would of all been stamped with the same serial number and it would not of been the same model reel either, serial numbers were used to show months of production and also showed when reels had a revision made to it.
So in answer to your question, unlike a Mitchell reel, there were huge quantities of reels and models all with the same serial number stamped on them and with lets say 4 lines running doing Cardinal 54, 55 and 57 models they would all be stamped with the same serial number, the 52 could also of been run but it was only made for one year so anywhere between 10 and 12 months, the middle two digits would of been changed every month not every day, you just have to remember the serial number was put on the reel for quality control not collectors :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Thanks for that! The ABU system is actually more useful than the Mitchell system as you can date a reel without looking up the S/N vs date listing.
Best wishes for the festive season BL!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Coral Maestro wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:41 am Thanks for that! The ABU system is actually more useful than the Mitchell system as you can date a reel without looking up the S/N vs date listing.
Best wishes for the festive season BL!
Thanks for the best wishes and glad you found my listing that was on Ebay all those years ago :eyebrow: :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”