General fly fishing chat area.
Argyll Trout Fisher
Ruffe

Identifying an older fly line.

Post by Argyll Trout Fisher »

B9792293-78DE-43C5-AEC3-2C820CCD163A.png
8D79D6BC-293D-4258-A751-EA2294E2A116.png
19FB52AE-2755-4905-8AC5-B30E4A26FCD8.png
Hi, I have a modest collection of vintage fly reels that I have acquired over a number of years from a variety of sources. I use most of them throughout the season in various types of fishing / locations. Occasionally I have acquired reels with decent lines on them and after careful checking , stretching and cleaning I am happy to use the ones that pass muster. Anyway to get to the point, I have gathered a collection of 4 of the same lines (as far as I can see), in different sizes and styles. They are olive green in colour and are medium sink lines , 3 are DT’s possibly size 8, 6, 4 and a WF which is probably around a 7. The lines are all in good condition, supple and retaining a new looking shiny appearance. After a gentle stretch they have all cast very well and caught trout. Clearly these lines were common and I have found them on decent (not extravagant!) reels like Shakespeare Condex , Beaulite etc perhaps indicating a decent but affordable line for a keen fisherman. So my question- do you recognise them or suggest possible manufacturers?[attachment=2]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan F. Mac

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Identifying an older fly line.

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Mastermind used to make lines that colour. They had a distinctive matt (some would say rough) finish.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Masterline :Hahaha: The same factory also made lines for Shakespeare, Hardy, Snowbee and others

Argyll Trout Fisher
Ruffe

Post by Argyll Trout Fisher »

Many thanks for the replies. I guess they were fairly common then? On close inspection one does probably seem of better quality. Anyway I suspect I may end up with more of these lines if I keep acquiring more reels :Hat:
Duncan F. Mac

Return to “General Fly Chat”