Autumn Brownie

General fly fishing chat area.
Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Autumn Brownie

Post by Rutland Rod »

Our clubs little pools have been badly weeded up all summer and little fishing has taken place but a friend rang to say weed had eased up and there wereImageImage some clear spots to cast too, he’d had two Brownies on dry fly on Wednesday and there was lots of surface activity, so enthused by this I popped down yesterday for an hour and also had a brace on a Mayfly, plus missed a few, this one I’ve kept my to eat this evening.

Ian
Eel

Re: Autumn Brownie

Post by Ian »

I like the look of your club pool RR,it reminds me of clelands hole in Carluke which also had browns in.
A nice little dinner plate brownie too.
How will you cook it?
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Wonderful fish and its got a nice girth, so it should make a fine meal.
That pond does look pretty weedy. Did you catch it along the weed line or more out in the open?
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Ian wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 am I like the look of your club pool RR,it reminds me of clelands hole in Carluke which also had browns in.
How will you cook it?
Just wrap it in foil with some butter, it did taste a little earthy, but the two of us and the terrier enjoyed it !

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Iasgair wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:43 pm Wonderful fish and its got a nice girth, so it should make a fine meal.
That pond does look pretty weedy. Did you catch it along the weed line or more out in the open?
One near the weed line, the other in the more open water, the pools are probably better suited to course fish but trout do very well.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Nice fish. Remains me of a pond belonging to a local gentry were I used to live. Had some nice brownies, in it, of up to 7lb, 6 foot high chain link fence all the way around. When he went on holiday, his gamekeeper (Doc) used to invite us up to it, £2 a day and take 1 brownie. During that week, between us locals, I bet 20 brownies used to come out to floating bread and Doc went home with about £60, which would be about 2 - 4 weeks wages in those days.

Don't know if the local squire every did find out. Only did it for 2 years then moved away. Both the squire and gamekeeper long dead.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Rutland Rod wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:01 pm
Ian wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:53 am I like the look of your club pool RR,it reminds me of clelands hole in Carluke which also had browns in.
How will you cook it?
Just wrap it in foil with some butter, it did taste a little earthy, but the two of us and the terrier enjoyed it !
It would taste a tad earthy RR,coming from a pond.i would have cooked it exactly the same and with a pinch of salt and pepper.i don’t get why people go over the top with herbs and spices. :Hat:
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Willow And Cane
Ruffe

Post by Willow And Cane »

The best way to reduce the earthy tastes to steep the cleaned fish in salty water over night rise in cold water then cook it.
I do this with all my sea trout and lake trout.

Return to “General Fly Chat”