Something Different!

General fly fishing chat area.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Something Different!

Post by Santiago »

The Thames is just a wee too fast for me to bother going up to the local weir, so instead of fly fishing for pike, for a change I decided to make a few more pike flies. Mainly to try to improve and have a few more patterns available. They're all between 5-6" and have epoxy heads. The orange and black one, however, is experimental as the head is molded using epoxy putty. This makes the head a little heavier than normal so I'll mainly use it in deeper waters or when I want to strip faster. The epoxy putty was a little easier to use and mold than epoxy glue, so if the fly holds together I might use it again.

Next weekend I really must test them all!!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: Something Different!

Post by AllRounder »

Although a keen pike angler I readily confess that my knowledge of fly fishing for them amounts to zero but they have just got to work. Nice job Trevor and good luck next time your out on the bank.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers AllRounder. You should try fly fishing for pike sometime, for one has to be quite active and the method appears to select the better fish compared to other lures!

Hemingway

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Santiago, if you lived in the USA and tied those flies here, I'd buy them from you. Those are magnificent looking flies. I think the striped orange and black should prove well and as always, the red and white always produce big pike.

Well done sir, well done indeed.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Cheers, they're all going to be tested tomorrow morning! Hopefully the pike will be in the mood for them.

Hemingway

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Well the pike weren't in the mood on Saturday morning. Neither Nick or myself had a single take or follow. We both caught lots of snags though, but luckily managed not to lose any flies on them.

Hemingway

Return to “General Fly Chat”