Richard Walker, Friend or Foe?

This forum belongs to Dick Walker.
Martin James
Tench

Re: Richard Walker, Friend or Foe?

Post by Martin James »

I use both old rods and new, the reason is some of my so called modern rods are better for the job in hand, yes I often go back to the 50’s where I enjoy fishing with tackle from those days when its suitable, but much of it is less efficient than some modern gear. I fish to catch, yes I enjoy the wildlife etc, but my main enjoyment is trying to catch fish. Richard Walker improved fly fishing so much that many more people, were able take up this branch of the sport and catch trout and salmon, who today would want to wield a 15 foot cane salmon fly rod? Richard Walker was the greatest angler of this or any other century, no one has given us more.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Martin James wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:22 pm I use both old rods and new, the reason is some of my so called modern rods are better for the job in hand, yes I often go back to the 50’s where I enjoy fishing with tackle from those days when its suitable, but much of it is less efficient than some modern gear. I fish to catch, yes I enjoy the wildlife etc, but my main enjoyment is trying to catch fish. Richard Walker improved fly fishing so much that many more people, were able take up this branch of the sport and catch trout and salmon, who today would want to wield a 15 foot cane salmon fly rod? Richard Walker was the greatest angler of this or any other century, no one has given us more.
I am pleased that you embrace the advantages of modern rods Martin, as clearly Dick Walker did! TFF members are rooted in Traditional methods and tackle, but we must all surely recognise that some modern tackle has it's place! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

My understanding from his writings was that he had given up carp fishing and had become out-of-touch with the most up-to-date methods. I recall some of his writing demonstrating this. I think had he lived longer that he would have continued to focus mainly, or even exclusively, on fly fishing for trout and would have continued to develop new patterns. Given that he was always looking forward and was happy to give away what we consider rather special bits of tackle, ie. the MKIII Carp rod gifted to Chris Ball, I think Walker would have viewed split cane based traditional angling with a sense of wry amusement, even publicly deriding it in his writings although probably privately somewhat pleased with what he'd achieved and made possible.

My own view is that as much as he was instrumental in fuelling the popularity of carp fishing I also think he is to blame, if that's not too strong a word, for the direction that it's taken and where it has ended up today. Imagine if Pete Thomas had caught the 44 pounder and that they had decided to keep that quiet until Dick caught a larger Redmire fish himself before going public. He may never have done so and I can't help but feel that coarse fishing based on traditional values might be more prevalent today rather than the carp-at-all-costs style of fishing that is now mainstream.

I will always be of the view that Ravioli should have been returned to Redmire after having been shown for a little while at London Zoo or better still immediately. Imagine if Walker had said to Pete Thomas, 'let's keep quiet about this one,' as they slipped her back.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Whilst I agree with some of what you say, I cannot agree with attaching any 'blame' to Dick Walker for the rise in the popularity of carp fishing. His capture of a carp that smashed the British record caused an earthquake in carp circles at the time. As for Ravioli/Clarissa being viewed at London Zoo, she was of National interest, so this seemed a reasonable judgement at the time. The 'carp at all costs' style of fishing has nothing to do with Dick Walker, it is more to do with modern attitudes. He would certainly not approve of many of the modern methods, but we can only speculate on this! :Hat:
Confucius

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I always saw Dick Walker as an innovator and a thinking angler... modern v vintage...? dunno... all I will say is that he was a great angler and he shaped my fishing from an early age and I still look to his writings occasionally and find they are still as relevant today as they were when they first written... a great Angler's Angler
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Excellent post Dave and I too had never read Dick’’s note from January 1983. I don’t think it matters one jot whether Dick, or any other angler for that matter, is pigeon holed one way or another. For me and many others the man was a genius, on a par with, but so different from Bernard Venables. How very lucky we all were to enjoy the fruits of their labours during our formative years....
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I was drawn to this thread because I always find Dave Burr’s views on carp angling are an excellent way of challenging my views on the subject.

My reaction to Dick Walker’s words honestly surprised me as it was nothing to do with fishing but reminded me of some advice I was given in my early 20s (I am now 58) as I started out on my first career as a professional election agent. I was sat in an audience listening to an elderly member of my party in the House of Lords. He had clearly concluded that his contribution to public affairs had not been sufficiently appreciated or acknowledged and he told us so at great length and in great detail. At the end of this undignified spectacle, an even more elderly Peer, with a formidable track record of service in education and economics, someone noted for her economy of language and modesty, turned to me and said, “Don’t make the mistake of hanging around for too long young man.”
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Am I misinterpreting your point, or are you implying that Dick Walker hung around for too long?
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:11 am Am I misinterpreting your point, or are you implying that Dick Walker hung around for too long?
That’s not quite what I meant Ted, or what the lady who offered me the advice meant.

I’ve never read any of Dick Walkers writings as carp angling isn’t my thing and I don’t fly fish. Anything I know about the man I have learned as a member of this forum and he is clearly well respected. So, I can only judge him at that moment by those words that Dave presented. He comes across just as that speaker did at the conference I attended all those years ago. I think the words of the lady sat next to me at the time apply - if you have been in the public eye, had the public ear, on any subject for a long time and end up feeling like that, then you hung around too long. She was one of the wisest people I have ever had the privilege to meet and since then I’ve read and heard far too many people who didn’t feel they got the credit they deserved and hung around long enough to start moaning about it. I find that sad as you don’t decide, history does.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

RW was an innovative and clearly enthusiastic angler. He was undoubtedly a bit of sly fox with an unbecoming bent for self publicity that gave some of his writings the air of being those of a man looking for an argument. Ab attitude that kept himself and products bearing his name in the limelight. That's not to say that his work isn't infornative ,entertaining and thought provoking.
It is to say that readers are not obliged to agree with RW , on every point ,hail him as an infallible Guru or wear a slouch hat on the bank just because he did.
Paradoxically, for someone who vaunted his own free thinking the Walker Way did seem a bit intolerant at times of those who ignored his magnanimous enlightenment and chose to enjoy angling in their own way.
Sadly in Dave's list of RW 's self proclaimed Laurels the man does himself no service . Walker comes across as a worn-out old cypher desperately clinging to former glory . A Roman Senator desperate to keep his young usurpers at bay by reminding the populace of the time he saved them from barbarian hordes and invented freelining with worms .
I think that if by dint of some magic time slip Richard Walker was around today he would have studiously noted the interest in using old tackle and techniques.
I also think that having been eclipsed by the very generation of specimen hunters he helped create ,rather that allow his profile to slip he might have re-embraced the Traditional Angling genre with new writings (retaining a hint of controversy of course) and a range of tackle to match.
As for Clarrissa/ Raviolli.....nice fish,well caught but just a grown on stockie... :whistle: :Scared:
Last edited by Kev D on Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Return to “Dick Walker”