The River Stour, Suffolk

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Harry H
Tench

Re: The River Stour, Suffolk

Post by Harry H »

Don't get to fish it as much as I would like and when I do it's on a day ticket around Sudbury but that may change soon :eyebrow:
There's a Facebook group called Suffolk Stour Anglers who are quite a friendly bunch and will be able to give you some advice on the river. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Hi sir,I have fished the Coln at the garrison rd ,there a little track to the right leaving Colchester then you go over a little bridge ,go to your left ,I've caught some nice dace and chub along that stretch, some 20 yrs ago now,

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Billericay and District have a stretch of the stour at Henny St.... never fished it, I really ought to... I think I'll treat meself this Autumn
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Harry wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:11 pm Billericay and District have a stretch of the stour at Henny St.... never fished it, I really ought to... I think I'll treat meself this Autumn
That's where my family migrated to as Flemish Weavers in early 1700's (Little and Great Henny) and later on one of them drowned in the river on the way home from the pub!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I keep promising meself a trip up there... I used to fish up that way back in the 70's with Loughton AS.... happy days... a coach full of coughing, smoking pensioners, all talking about "Goer" Roach... by the time I got off the coach I'd passive smoked 20 fags in an hour and a half... then there was the walk off...I never drew higher than 12 in 7 years of Loughton club outings... we all had to have LAA permits and rulers to fish to size limits... slurping lukewarm tea and semi-frozen cheese sarnies in the depths of winter, shivering so hard that the tip of the rod looked like it had St Vitus's Dance
Happily those days are gone and I can stay warm and my lungs are thankful for the unsullied air... I still want to get up that way though... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

Does ‘floppy hat’ not frequent this forum anymore?

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

Thankyou for your replies also. Most helpful

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

So I had a cracking day yesterday on the float rod. And on the stour. I would of made a new post but the new post option has been removed? Anyhow, I’ve had a few surprise catches on the stour so far. A rainbow trout. A zander. But yesterday was the biggest surprise. A 2lb stunning Rudd that fought like a gooden! I didn’t think Rudd were in the stour. Especially specimens like that. Has anyone caught any? I wonder if it’s an escapee from somewhere. It was nice to see the big roach and perch coming out yesterday too. Multiples of around 1lb and perch slightly bigger

Danny
Stickleback

Post by Danny »

I’m just starting to get some good catches from the stour. Largely thanks to info on this thread. So I just thought I’d pass through and say thanks 🙂

AndytheAmmer
Stickleback

Post by AndytheAmmer »

Interested to hear how you’re getting on Danny?

Return to “Other Rivers”