Can anyone tell me anything about this landing net ?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Lincoln Ant
Stickleback

Can anyone tell me anything about this landing net ?

Post by Lincoln Ant »

Hello lads,I won this on an internet selling site for £5 and want to stain and varnish it before I start using it on my rowing boat.I was just curious to know how old it might be ? Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Re: Can anyone tell me anything about this landing net ?

Post by Bob Brookes »

:Hat: It goes back a few years before knotted nets were banned. If you do intend to use it Ant you will need to change the mesh to a fish friendly one as these old ones did severe damage to fish scales. :Confused:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

It is known as a Gye net, salmon anglers fix them to their backs on a lanyard when wading the river, and call them into action when a salmon is ready to land. some barbel anglers use them when roving. Bob is correct, the mesh will need replacing if you want to use it

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's a flip over net. Gye nets have a pole that the head slides up and down on, and can be carried on a peel sling for one handed operation. Get a rubber mesh if you want it to be as fish friendly as possible :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have an old flip over net along these lines which was made by Allcocks, it is a bit more basic than this one though.

Lincoln Ant
Stickleback

Post by Lincoln Ant »

Thanks for the information lads,I don’t suppose any of you do a re-netting service do you if I pay for your time and full post and packing :Thumb:

Redtag
Stickleback

Post by Redtag »

This looks like an ABU net - you can see them in their catalogues from the 1960's onwards. I believe that Relum made a very similar net years later. Hope this helps.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lincoln Ant wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 pm Thanks for the information lads,I don’t suppose any of you do a re-netting service do you if I pay for your time and full post and packing :Thumb:
Snowbee sell very good quality rubberised knotless replacement landing nets bags in a range of sizes. I used one for an Efgeeco net frame I was restoring last April (the thread is not too far below this one). if your frame unscrews from the handle, which it looks like it does, it would be a simple enough job to fit one of them.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lincoln Ant
Stickleback

Post by Lincoln Ant »

Thanks Phil much appreciated mate 👍👍👍

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”