Interesting Morritts Junior

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Newtocane
Ruffe

Interesting Morritts Junior

Post by Newtocane »

All, someone posted pictures of this reel on a Facebook page, asking for information. Anyone seen anything similar? The reel foot doesn't appear to have been added later, I haven't seen the reel in the flesh as it were, but can't see any tell-tale welding seams.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Re: Interesting Morritts Junior

Post by AshbyCut »

The body is definitely a 'Junior' body ... possibly with some sort of material added to the foot leg to add weight to a very light reel, or mend a break (the castings were really quite fragile) ... and hand painted, as lots of boys did with their reels in the late 1950's/early 1960s to 'personalise' them. I was happy with my Monarch Mk. II in it's standard colour !!!

http://www.intrepidreel.com/reels.html
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

If that’s a retrofit addition to the reel, someone had some skills. It’s a very tidy job all around. I’d have maybe gone olive green.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

If it were mine I would call it Kermit J Morritts....
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Newtocane
Ruffe

Post by Newtocane »

Marc wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:18 am If that’s a retrofit addition to the reel, someone had some skills. It’s a very tidy job all around. I’d have maybe gone olive green.
I agree on the standard of workmanship, nothing visible at all. I'll try to post some other photos that the owner has kindly agreed to let me share
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:08 am If it were mine I would call it Kermit J Morritts....
The Intrepid/Morritts Kermit, splendid name!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I was a mere boy in the late 50's - no "personalisation" of gear then apart from "This belongs to Xxxx Yyyyyy"!

Labels on all clothes, in shoes, even wrong way round underpants Bob. Take your socks off to paddle - gone!

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Interesting and fun piece - most likely someone spending some time on a long Winter night. As Olly says, such modding was not en vogue back in the time of this reel also I have never found the castings to be fragile. Most striking thing to me about it is the white spool which looks like actual white plastic, intriguing. Thanks to you and the owner for sharing.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Stingray wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:31 pmAs Olly says, such modding was not en vogue back in the time of this reel
Maybe it was just around the area in which I lived at the time ... when boys were finding things to do with the paints left over from the plastic scale models which were an expanding trend at the time (Airfix plastic models were introduced in 1949 with a Ferguson Tractor, and the Spitfire was introduced in 1953). :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

AshbyCut wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:24 pm Maybe it was just around the area in which I lived at the time ... when boys were finding things to do with the paints left over from the plastic scale models which were an expanding trend at the time (Airfix plastic models were introduced in 1949 with a Ferguson Tractor, and the Spitfire was introduced in 1953). :Hat:
Yes, maybe. A little later but I remember painting some perfectly good Matchbox cars with my airfix paints in between kits.

PS. I also remember Frog kits.

:Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I was 3 in '49 - so 7 near the end of the Coronation year. I still have the blue glass that was given away. And remember the Coronation party with jelly and cake throwing by uncouth kids, mostly started by girl.

I started fishing with a Standard at 11 - which I may still have - then a De-Luxe. I do have the Continental in black and the Supreme. Matched with a Sabina - all in the garage - somewhere!

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”