The Burley Pike Rod

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Hampshireboy
Ruffe

The Burley Pike Rod

Post by Hampshireboy »

Hi all , took del of a Dawson's Burley Pike Rod at 8ft with both sections even in length. I t looks a belter of a rod with all things Tidy and transfers still in tact. But the thing is like a broom. The taper goes from 45mm at the butt to 16mm at the tip. Did not expect it to be so stiff. Does anybody have any views and experience using these for Pike. I wouldnt fancy spinning with it all day that's for sure, and the stiffness would be massive overkill on the waters I generally fish. It could certainly throw a big bait without problems but I imagine hook pulls being common. The Pike would be landed quickly which is good but with almost no fun surely. I've never fished with a rod this stiff so would be interested in any comments with regard Piking with it. Regards. Steve.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: The Burley Pike Rod

Post by Loop Erimder »

I have a burley too. Although not used in a while but I have had catfish on it to 22lb... also small pike around 15lb....... I like it.....and only used with dead baits
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Hampshireboy
Ruffe

Post by Hampshireboy »

Glad you like yours. It really is a nice looking Rod, definitely gonna keep it but just a bit shocked at how stiff it is . I had a wiggle with a Dennis Pye the other day and that felt softer.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Have one of those too.... It the burly were to be 10 foot that would be great.... I'm sure mine is around 9 foot
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

My Burley is a very substantial rod, too. It is unrestored and in unfishable state, so no experience with fishing it. I have a Dawsons Challenger that I use for pike and it feels much, much better. My Burley is 8 ft. Bobby

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”