Is buying on impulse a good idea?

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Is buying on impulse a good idea?

Post by Beresford »

Scott wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:12 pm To be fair Jack those Scottie rods that are 'auction' never reach the 'Buy it Now' prices which are usually over £100, is this a truer reflection of their value? Quite often bargains come up on eBay, I'm often on there although I don't need anything, because as your purchase proves, there are gems to be unearthed. I picked up a Rawson and Perrin prototype for £125, might seem a lot but brand new ones retail at £1200...

Now you have such a great rod you simply have to get it out on the water this coming trout season. We will await your reports. :Hat:

Agreed! My best single purchase was a recently built cane fly rod on eBay which I paid £125 for in little used condition. I showed it to one of the leading cane fly rod builders in the country and on flexing it said it was really very special. I think it's been built by Hardy but that it was moved on elsewhere for finishing as they considered it a second. He considered that a possibility. I keep my eyes open for another.

Scott,
I meant to say this rod maker told me that fly rods often take a temporary bend in the tip after playing a fish and that it was natural with such fine sections of this to happen. I know you were concerned about your Zhu that was bent after playing a fish but that would straighten with light pressure. So nothing to worry about.
Last edited by Beresford on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Good Ebaying Jack, just don't be tempted to jump in too often :Wink:

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Sharpes Scottie rods were impregnated and don't need varnishing, except for the whippings. Bear that in mind if you want to restore it. Please put some photos up when it arrives.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Is buying on impulse a good thing?? No, but you were very lucky Jack! I've bought several rods from eBay on impulse and most of them were rubbish.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have purchased items from the bay that were rubbish description wise, good job they were as I got some real bargains. Well done MD.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

SofaSurfer wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am Sharpes Scottie rods were impregnated and don't need varnishing, except for the whippings. Bear that in mind if you want to restore it. Please put some photos up when it arrives.
I think I'll try and have a tidy up of the half missing label. Not sure if I'll need to replace the rings or not. That remains to be seen.

I'll keep you updated and post a few pictures. :Sun:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

MaggotDrowner impulse can be a slippery slope my friend, impulse can easily be described as excitement but experience will tell you after the initial impulse/excitement take a deep breath and then start to check things out. I bought many cane rods 15 years ago on impulse thankfully the 50% that were awful I managed to get my money back on the other 50% they still reside with me and get used.
I still have the impulse now but find I walk away from more than I buy when I check things out with more questions to the sellers than most would ask.
Any way congrats on your impulse.
Bumble

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

A good tip to prevent impulse buying is when tempted, eat a banana or something equally sugary like a small bar of chocolate or a few biscuits. I won't explain why, but it should work every time. Likewise, before doing the weeky shop, have a snack. You're much less likely to buy unhealthy food.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

10/10 a very good purchase! but remember, "caveat emptor" hope it gets you out during the summer.

Ted

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

GhyllManor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:19 pm 10/10 a very good purchase! but remember, "caveat emptor" hope it gets you out during the summer.

Ted
I have no idea what that means but okay. :Wink:
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”