Is buying on impulse a good idea?

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
MaggotDrowner
Zander

Is buying on impulse a good idea?

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I just popped "traditional fishing" into eBay and sorted the results by "ending soonest". Up pops a Sharpe fly rod. Four minutes to go. Looks okay to me from the photos, despite the missing dog logo. Waited until 4 seconds before the end and my punt was the winning bid. I fully expected not to get it.

My winning bid was £26.01. Seems like a good price. In truth I know nothing about fly rods, cane or otherwise. But I hear people rate Sharpe rods, particularly their spinning rods, so their fly rods must be okay too?

The rod is described as 8'8", which seems a strange length. Initially I thought perhaps it's missing a bit off the tip, but I have since found reference to a Sharpe fly rod of this length on this site. Hopefully the length is okay. The line rating is #5-6, going from that being written on the rod. I think the carbon fly rod I bought and never ended up using was a #5 so hopefully that will be okay. All remains to be seen when the rod is delivered.

I've been wanting to learn to fly fish for a while but only had a couple of goes with my carbon fly rod in the years I've had it. People said learn with carbon but the carbon rod hasn't inspired me. Hopefully this cane rod will be the inspiration I need to make me have another crack at it.

Anyone have any info on this rod? When were they made?
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Is buying on impulse a good idea?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

A Sharpes 88 then? Sounds like a bargain to me!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

You Jammy so and so! That Jack is a very fine rod, a Sharpes 88. I love their cigar shaped handles and dark cane. They came in 83,86 and 88 models, I have an 86, not sure of the dates, 70s I think. If I'd have seen the listing I'd have been bidding. There were 2 others on eBay recently, granted they seemed to be in a cleaner condition to yours, but both were over £150. I'm kicking myself here and very jealous. Well done Jack, let us know how you get on with it. :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

£26...Bargain, very nice rods.

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Impulse or intuition :Wink:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Well you have yourself a lovely piece of fine vintage cane for a super low price. I actually think you'll find the typically slower action of Sharpes cane fly rod are easier to learn with than a modern carbon rod. The '88' is regarded as one of the all time classics.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Impulse buying? Well I chose my first wife on our first date and the relationship lasted 14 years producing two lovely daughters. I chose my second wife on our second date and this has lasted 28 years producing a boy and a girl. None of the children fish but impulse buying? Yes every time.....

I once saw three beautiful cane float rods at an antique shop in Leominster and said "I'll buy" but I'd left my wallet in the car and by the time I got back, the rods had been sold to someone else......
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Scott wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:53 pm You Jammy so and so! That Jack is a very fine rod, a Sharpes 88. I love their cigar shaped handles and dark cane. They came in 83,86 and 88 models, I have an 86, not sure of the dates, 70s I think. If I'd have seen the listing I'd have been bidding. There were 2 others on eBay recently, granted they seemed to be in a cleaner condition to yours, but both were over £150. I'm kicking myself here and very jealous. Well done Jack, let us know how you get on with it. :Hat:
Beresford wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:31 pm Well you have yourself a lovely piece of fine vintage cane for a super low price. I actually think you'll find the typically slower action of Sharpes cane fly rod are easier to learn with than a modern carbon rod. The '88' is regarded as one of the all time classics.
Thank you guys! Seems I've done okay then, for once. :Sun: Last year I bought an Allcocks Isis and the greenheart tip broke on its first bend. :hairpull: So I was due some better luck! :Wink:

Northern_Nomad wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:17 pm Impulse or intuition :Wink:
I guess it was a bit of both. I knew the impregnated Sharpes spinning rods with the dogs on are well thought of so I hoped the fly rods were too. I couldn't understand why this one was seemingly cheap and I know nothing about fly rods. I thought perhaps I was missing an obvious fault but it was worth taking a gamble.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

MaggotDrowner wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:51 pm I guess it was a bit of both. I knew the impregnated Sharpes spinning rods with the dogs on are well thought of so I hoped the fly rods were too. I couldn't understand why this one was seemingly cheap and I know nothing about fly rods. I thought perhaps I was missing an obvious fault but it was worth taking a gamble.
To be fair Jack those Scottie rods that are 'auction' never reach the 'Buy it Now' prices which are usually over £100, is this a truer reflection of their value? Quite often bargains come up on eBay, I'm often on there although I don't need anything, because as your purchase proves, there are gems to be unearthed. I picked up a Rawson and Perrin prototype for £125, might seem a lot but brand new ones retail at £1200...

Now you have such a great rod you simply have to get it out on the water this coming trout season. We will await your reports. :Hat:

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

Good impulse

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”