Magnum Blue's

The Other Reels forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Magnum Blue's

Post by Ljm183 »

A couple of Lewtham Engineering "Magnum Blue" Trotting Reels. (Lewtham Products).

One Narrow drum Serial No. 00039

And one Wide drum Serial No 00030

Both boxed and unused.

Last edited by Ljm183 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keston
Tench

Re: Magnum Blue,s

Post by Keston »

They are lovely and were made just a stone's throw from where I live . I tried to buy number 30 on Tuesday :Cry:

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

I was watching number 30, couldn't make my mind up, to late now.
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I believe that engineer/md has now retired and his son runs the firm now. presumably it was Dad who made the Barder reels....?

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I believe all the tooling etc was sold off .
Looks like those Magnums have his home address on rather than the industrial unit .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah yes, closed down in 2006...it must have been another firm that made the Barders then.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

There's a little bit about the maker, Dave Lewthwaite, in the latest edition of Classic Angling. Although he closed his factory in 2007 he's continued building a few reels from his shed at home. At peak production he was producing 2400 reels a year.
He now has his business up for sale.

Pete

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I hope no one minds me asking but, are they any good? I used a Leeds once, for about 5 minutes. It was the most horrible centrepin I've ever tried fishing with and swore to avoid the maker like the plague in future. Cheaper end centrepins don't have to be rubbish as others proved.

Have to admit, when I saw the colour, I assumed it was a Kingpin for our friends in North America :Scared:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

CrayCane wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:14 pm There's a little bit about the maker, Dave Lewthwaite, in the latest edition of Classic Angling. Although he closed his factory in 2007 he's continued building a few reels from his shed at home. At peak production he was producing 2400 reels a year.
He now has his business up for sale.

Pete
CrayCane I think you will find most of those 2400 a year made were the Leeds model. The Magnum was a limited edition, i had No92 Wide drum made on the 3rd June 03 . the one i have above is No 30 was made on the 15th April 02 :Hat:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Duckett wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:20 pm I hope no one minds me asking but, are they any good? I used a Leeds once, for about 5 minutes. It was the most horrible centrepin I've ever tried fishing with and swore to avoid the maker like the plague in future. Cheaper end centrepins don't have to be rubbish as others proved.

Have to admit, when I saw the colour, I assumed it was a Kingpin for our friends in North America :Scared:
Duckett. Totally different reels both in use and build quality. The Magnum Blues and Magnum Black were Limited edition reels, apparently made to order. :Thumb:

https://www.fishingmagic.com/the-magnum-blue-centrepin/
Last edited by Ljm183 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Reels”