KELLY KETTLE

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
Snape
Bailiff

Re: KELLY KETTLE

Post by Snape »

I agree with Champ and usually only use mine for social fishing but also take it for a full day's fishing.
I have a small 1 pint one and the larger camp kettle. They are excellent and good fun when the bites are few and far between.
I now rarely take any liquid fishing as just take a 'travel tap' bottle which renders any fresh water drinkable and so I drink the river or lake where I am fishing or use the river water for filling the Kelly. I have also switched to carrying milk powder rather than fresh milk and make it up on the bank to further reduce the amount need to be carried.
The Kellys can all take quite a bit of paper and kindling stored inside the chimney and base (I found a lid which fits over the base so I can put fuel in there and not have it drop out when being carried).
As an alternative I sometimes take an army alcohol gel stove which is very compact and uses alcohol gel blocks. I also have the Kelly Kettle mugs which are stainless steel and can be use to boil water directly and so act as kettle and mug and when used with filtered river or lake water and powdered milk requires very little space in the fishing bag (more room for cake! :Happy: ).
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

You need to check the rules where you are fishing. They are banned at my club waters.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Maybe not ideal if you're fishing mobile, but if I'm planning to be in one spot for a day I'll take the KK, tea pot etc for a fresh brew.

Regarding kindling, as GloucestedOldSpot once opined, if it's wet on the ground look upwards!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Best tip I was given about flasks was to take two, the smaller one staying in the car and ensuring a hot coffee for a wakeful drive home.

Tizer, if you do find a source at £30, do tell - but make sure you've got yours home safely first, wouldn't want to get it dented in the crush!
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Think you are right ,just had a quick look,more like £80

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have a one pint Kelly, old and battered as I have used it for many years, it is especially useful when winter Pike fishing, people say that there is not enough water in for a day session, I just fill a plastic cola bottle with water, , wrap it in a plastic bag and carry it pushed up inside the Kelly "chimney , the kettle itself is also filled and you have plenty of water for a brew or two . I use an insulated Mug, filled from the kettle, stays warm for ages.

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I had a KK for Christmas last year, I also have a Trangia which is brilliant. I carry a few fire lighters in blister packs and a few pcs of dry kindling in my basket to light the KK and find sticks on the bank side to fuel it. There's nothing like the smell of wood smoke on a cold day, nicer than the meths fumes from the Trangia although it is super efficient and light weight but you have to take a kettle too, a bottle of water and a bottle of meths if intending multiple brews.
I have never used river water although have often thought about it, does anyone use river water in their Kelly?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 am I had a KK for Christmas last year, I also have a Trangia which is brilliant. I carry a few fire lighters in blister packs and a few pcs of dry kindling in my basket to light the KK and find sticks on the bank side to fuel it. There's nothing like the smell of wood smoke on a cold day, nicer than the meths fumes from the Trangia although it is super efficient and light weight but you have to take a kettle too, a bottle of water and a bottle of meths if intending multiple brews.
I have never used river water although have often thought about it, does anyone use river water in their Kelly?
There are simple water filters available which I use to filter the river water with. I attached a carbon post-filter of another system got get rid of any strange taste and chemicals. I let it boil for a little longer - then it is safe drinking.
That's the one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sawyer-Mini-wa ... ter+filter

and this is attached with the sawyer rubber tube on top:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Katadyn-Filter ... dyn+carbon

So - no carrying of heavy water bottles any longer and have as many brews as I have tea bags for.
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

OldTackle wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 am
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 am I had a KK for Christmas last year, I also have a Trangia which is brilliant. I carry a few fire lighters in blister packs and a few pcs of dry kindling in my basket to light the KK and find sticks on the bank side to fuel it. There's nothing like the smell of wood smoke on a cold day, nicer than the meths fumes from the Trangia although it is super efficient and light weight but you have to take a kettle too, a bottle of water and a bottle of meths if intending multiple brews.
There are simple water filters available which I use to filter the river water with. I attached a carbon post-filter of another system got get rid of any strange taste and chemicals. I let it boil for a little longer - then it is safe drinking.
That's the one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sawyer-Mini-wa ... ter+filter

and this is attached with the sawyer rubber tube on top:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Katadyn-Filter ... dyn+carbon

So - no carrying of heavy water bottles any longer and have as many brews as I have tea bags for.
Brilliant! Many thanks, its on my Christmas list!!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Mushy
Arctic Char

Post by Mushy »

Only tend to fire up the Volcano during long hot summer days when bites are hard to come by and usually as the sun starts going down. Afternoon tea and several cups of orange pekoe with some cherry cake make for a very pleasant interlude.
Best Fishes
Mushy

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”