Hampton Loade

This forum belongs to the River Severn.
Gawanabana
Ruffe

Hampton Loade

Post by Gawanabana »

Are there any members out there that fish the Hampton Loade stretch of the Severn? Me and a friend are planning a few days fishing there during the Summer. As it is a very well known stretch I am a bit worried about how busy it might be during the summer months.
Poached Roach

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: Hampton Loade

Post by Northern Eel »

I have fished that section a few times, it does get busy with other anglers in Summer, best to arrive early.
Last time I visited there were a group of canoeists that stopped off for a pub lunch, when they returned an hour or so later they where somewhat worse for wear, it was quite a sight to see them setting off as they crashed into each other tangled themselves up in fishing lines and shouted at each other!
If you like peaceful fishing, that stretch is best avoided.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Might I suggest Bewdley....? the BAA stretch at Trimpley, upstream of the town is lovely and quite wild looking in places, very picturesque and if you want a bit of Roach fishing you're not far from Stourport... the only problem with going in summer is the prospect of low water... which can knock the fishing a bit...!
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Gawanabana
Ruffe

Post by Gawanabana »

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at Bewdley. We are going to be travelling from Norfolk and are on a tight budget so probably camping nearby. Both of us are barbel virgins so I'm not expecting to turn up and empty the river. It would be nice to find an enjoyable stretch to fish without too much interference so at least if the fishing doesn't go to plan its not completely ruined by the "neighbours".
Poached Roach

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Although I've never fished the Severn I visit Bewdley from time to time to see the steam train and stay in the pub – The George. It's very good value and very close to the beginnings of the footpath along the river and towards Arley.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

May I suggest another venue also in the same area just below stourport , the Weirpool at Lincolm lock you pay the lock keeper £6 for a day ticket. Good place for barbel

Gawanabana
Ruffe

Post by Gawanabana »

Thanks again guys. I think we will be moving our plans a bit away from Hampton Loade. I was concerned reading various negative reports but I am always a bit dubious when reading online reviews.
Poached Roach

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Hampton used to be nice if you were there on a quiet day, but it seems to have received some publicity and finding a quiet day has got harder!

Also there is a new bailiff on duty, the kind who seems to take delight in banning people :club: There has always been a 'no night fishing' rule on the day-ticket section which suited me fine as I don't like night fishing, but now there is a clock at the entrance showing the time you have to be back by. It is often set about 45 minutes before it gets even remotely dark which means if you're down the far end of the stretch having to pack up a good hour before dark... often the best hour of the day in the summer :hairpull: No allowance is made for this, which is why after several years of going to Hampton I'm looking for somewhere else to fish this year :Cry:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

AndyD
Minnow

Post by AndyD »

Can I put a different slant on this thread? Wagtails comments really don't tally at all with my experiences.

Firstly regarding the clock, I know quite a bit about it as I made it! (well the housing anyway). It was put there as we (KFAC) were having a lot of problems with day ticket anglers fishing into the night, and when being asked to leave replying "I didn't know what time I had to be off mate". The clock hasn't changed any times that anglers should be leaving by, but is there to avoid any confusion. This is the first season it has been in use (it was only installed in late Jan 2017) and it's gone well. The time on the clock is the time you need to be "off the water" by not what time you have to be back to your car by, so as long you've stopped fishing by then and are on your way back that's fine. It has always been set to pretty much dusk or even a little later, and if you'd have gone beyond that time you'd have need a torch, you could easily fish the "magic hour".

I don't know who the 'new bailiff" who "delights in banning people" is. I've been fishing there for years and I fish it pretty much weekly. There hasn't been a new bailiff for at least the last 5 years, and the bailiffs are in fact very helpful, and will often give advice of recent catches/where to fish/depths etc if you're not familiar with the water. They will however take action against people not behaving themselves, as all bailiffs should. Tickets are £6/day on the bank.

The main reason for it being a bit busier isn't publicity, but the fact that the BAA no longer offer day tickets. As such day ticket water on the mid-Severn is harder to find. That said, it is still quite easy to find yourself a quiet spot mid week especially in autumn, watching the world and the steam trains go by. It's been fishing well this year with plenty good barbel, big roach, good chub being caught during daylight hours. As with all rivers it's not an easy water, but good angling will catch. Give it a go. If you are in the area Gawanabana, drop me a pm, I'd be happy to meet you on the bank of a summer evening and show you around.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Just as a matter of interest, how big do the roach get to, is there a realistic chance of a magic ‘two’?
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “River Severn”