Stevenstone lake

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Re: Stevenstone lake

Post by Carp Artist »

Hi GregF Have put the article up on Carp artist's fishing journal gallery The Bronze Knights Of Old Manor Pool.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Now added The Bronze Knights
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Sadly nothing stays the same, and if the place has changed as you say, I am not encouraged to go back and give it a try. I have my memories though, and they will always bring a smile.

I'm in agreement with you Ray. I will never return to Stevenstone. I remember the lovely rudd and tench in the bottom pool. There was also some long lean commons in there , not many about a dozen at the most.
You may know of him? Eric Lawton. He would always fish the lower pool during the summer months arriving at dawn as the mists rolled across the fields. He used to drive a reliant robin. Mr Parnell used to refer to him as his" local expert."
I'm pleased that you enjoyed my posting, Good luck with your return to the brotherhood of the angle.
Phil.

Goosequill
Dace

Post by Goosequill »

I remember these lakes from my days living in Devon.

It was lovely going there when Mr. Parnell was alive. I think the last time I fished there was 1996 or 7 and I was met by a screaming lady and her offspring as I walked down to the lakes. Once I explained what I was doing her ranting went down a notch but it was still a completely unnecessary way to "greet" people. Clearly these were the successors to dear old Mr. Parnell and an unpleasant lot they were too.

I never went back there again after that - it is no surprise it has turned the way it has; I wonder if the wildies are still there....

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Alas my friend, it sounds like you met Rebbeca Parnell, Lovely old Roy Parnells duaughter in law! Once Roy passed away, soon after Lorna his old house keeper passed also. The new family moved in and extended the little bungalow. Things were never the same again. Sail boats appeared on the top lake. A pontoon thing appeared by the boathouse and all hell broke out with screaming youths.
As far as I know the wildies are still there in the top lake along with some introduced mirrors. The lower pond is much the same and still contains the "old strain"
I believe they now charge £10.00 a day to fish. They certainly don't encourage fishing anymore. I used to be the bailiff for Roy back in the day. Keeping an eye on the places, collecting the small fee he charged I think it was £1.50 a day at that time. However it had remained at .50p for years before.
Sadly it will never be the same for me there again. Not long after Roy died I moved from Torrington back to Sussex. So have lost touch with things in Devon over the years. Tight lines... Goosequill.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

That looks a lovely place. Not sure if my Dad would have driven me all that way in the days when I didn't have a car. If I had know about the place in the early 80s I would have at least asked. It is amazing what information you can get hold of now because of the internet. At in some ways, a little sad as nothing remains a secret for long.

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

one of my pen and ink drawings of Stevenstone.Image[/img]

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”