New John Gierach Book, A Fly Rod of Your Own.

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Scott
Tench

New John Gierach Book, A Fly Rod of Your Own.

Post by Scott »

Heads up for anybody who is a fan of John Gierch; New book, A Fly Rod of Your Own due to be released May 4th, you can pre-order on Amazon;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fly-Rod-Your-O ... cketHeader

PeteD
Rudd

Re: New John Gierach Book, A Fly Rod of Your Own.

Post by PeteD »

Will look forward to that. Gierach's books never fail to please.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Just read a review of this, sounds a good un! Has any read "standing in a river waving a stick"?

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Paul D wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 am Just read a review of this, sounds a good un! Has any read "standing in a river waving a stick"?
Yes. It's great, they all are!

Luke
Grayling

Post by Luke »

Our signed stock should arrive in the next few days. Can't wait to get a proper look at a copy.

John Aston

Post by John Aston »

Just reading my copy now. It was good to be reminded again just how brilliantly Gierach writes ; he is concise ,wise , erudite , very funny and so, so stylish . In my view there's not a better writer alive on our sport. I have given up on most contemporary writers - maybe I have been unlucky in what I have chosen to read but sometimes it feels as though it's Chris Yates (undoubtedly one of our very best) , then a host of people trying (and failing) to write like Yates and finally , at the bottom of the barrel , a bunch of semi literate drongoes devoting their deathless prose to carp rigs or , even worse, recounting scatological stories of merry japes on ...ahem...carping socials, innit . My , how we roared .......

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Post by Match Aerial »

Had john taken up rod making ?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I visited Oxfam books recently and found a lot of angling books, somebody had cleared out their library. There were three books by Gierach. As members rave about him I bought all three. I decided to read them in the order they were published and started with Troutbum.

Initially I found it hard to read but then I got used to his style of writing and the stories flowed. I didn't like the 'good old boy', truck, backwoodsman, ye ha continually pounding me into the dust. I couldn't relate to the big sky, bears, camp fire stories because that's not my type of trout fishing.

I finished reading Troutbum and started on his next book. To my dismay it was more of the same. Are all his books the same?

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Post by Nigel Rainton »

Firebird,

I will post it to you free of charge if you pm your address :-)

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”