River Wye - First Timer Advice

This forum belongs to the River Wye.
OrangeJonny
Dace

River Wye - First Timer Advice

Post by OrangeJonny »

Afternoon gents.

My brother and I, along with 3 old school friends, try to have an annual fishing trip and general catch-up. This years venue is the Wye!

We're heading there tomorrow morning for a weekend of barbel and chub fishing, and I wondered if any of you old hands had any advice for a first timer.

We're staying at the red lion so will probably have an afternoon on their strech. However we've heard there may be more fish towards Ross on Wye??

Can anybody recommend any decent day ticket stretches within maybe 45 minutes of the red lion?

I've planned to stop off at woodys tackle shop for a chat but though I'd ask here first!

Thanks in advance
OJ

Richard C
Brown Trout

Re: River Wye - First Timer Advice

Post by Richard C »

Stand by for Dave Burr!
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

OJ, a friend of mine Rob Fox, ex Redmire bailiff now manages a section at Hoarwithy bridge which is about 35-40 mins away. It is about 0.75 miles of river. It looks like it is all available on Sun.
See http://www.oldharpfishery.co.uk/

He only allows 5 anglers and 1 rod fishing. It is a lovely stretch with some good barbel and chub plus other species and huge pike.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Richard C
Brown Trout

Post by Richard C »

Mr Burr will be along later this evening as he's currently worrying the fish at the Mochas stretch. Handy chap to know as he's bailiff. :Wink:
"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.".
T. S Eliot
http://richard-cleaver.blogspot.co.uk/

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

No doubt Dave will be along but also consider the Wye and Usk fishing passport - some nice fishing on there.

https://www.fishingpassport.co.uk/fishing/wye
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

OrangeJonny
Dace

Post by OrangeJonny »

Snape wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:04 pm OJ, a friend of mine Rob Fox, ex Redmire bailiff now manages a section at Hoarwithy bridge which is about 35-40 mins away. It is about 0.75 miles of river. It looks like it is all available on Sun.
That sounds interesting!

I'll have a chat with the guys in the morning. Our plan was to head back home on Sunday lunch time - but I'm sure I could be persuaded to stay longer...

Thanks for the info Snape. It looks like a lovely piece of river.

The fishing passport website you mention was also recommended by a friend of mine. He uses it quite regularly but I think we booked late and most places seemed to be booked up for the weekend. Thanks again though.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

OrangeJonny wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:36 pm
Snape wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:04 pm OJ, a friend of mine Rob Fox, ex Redmire bailiff now manages a section at Hoarwithy bridge which is about 35-40 mins away. It is about 0.75 miles of river. It looks like it is all available on Sun.
That sounds interesting!

I'll have a chat with the guys in the morning. Our plan was to head back home on Sunday lunch time - but I'm sure I could be persuaded to stay longer...

Thanks for the info Snape. It looks like a lovely piece of river.

The fishing passport website you mention was also recommended by a friend of mine. He uses it quite regularly but I think we booked late and most places seemed to be booked up for the weekend. Thanks again though.
It says there are places on Sat. So if only one person has booked then there is another 4 slots.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I was only bothered by chub this evening which is par for the course along the Wye at the moment OJ. The barbel seem to need a moving bait in the faster water :Wink:

My knowledge of day ticket sections is limited due to my access to the Red Lion but plenty have come off there so far - if you do the above.

Woody is the font of knowledge and you'll get good information in the tackle shop in Ross on Wye. The Wye and Usk Foundation have a huge amount of the Wye - at a price. They may be worth a call to see what's available but then Snape's suggestion looks a good 'un as Hoarwithy is a great area.

Hope you enjoy your weekend :Hat:

OrangeJonny
Dace

Post by OrangeJonny »

Well we had a nice couple of days on the Wye. Thanks again to Snape and Dave Burr for all the advice.

We managed some nice chub from the Red lion stretch and the other lads managed some lovely barbel from Hereford town centre. We all caught and had a thourghly nice time.

Pictures to follow when I get back to my desk...

Mercman
Roach

Post by Mercman »

Good to see you had something from the Red Lion stretch, a lovely bit of water. I struggled there in June but had a few Chub and Barbel from the Hereford section after speaking to "woody" in the tackle shop.
I will definitely go back to the Red Lion again at some point, lovely place to fish.

Return to “River Wye”