Another string to Harvey's bow !

This forum belongs to Harvey D. Torbett.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Another string to Harvey's bow !

Post by AshbyCut »

I knew from his daughter that Harvey Torbett had made a cine film called "A Boy Goes Fishing," but thanks to an exchange of posts between Paul F and Keston in another thread I have now gleaned the following information.

Edited because I misread the original posts about which magazine the articles are in !!! (It's my age, you know !!! :Tongue: )

In the December, 1965 edition of "Creel" magazine there's an article written by Harvey entitled "Fishing ... and the Movie Camera." Apparently there's a second half in the January, 1966 issue.

I'd imagined that the film he made was a 'home cine film,' like the ones my dad took of our family for a few years ... but ...

The December 1965 article contains the following information showing it was on an entirely different level ... and I quote ... "Harvey Torbett has been making amateur films with the London Schools Film Society for many years, and one of these, "A Boy goes Fishing," won the Elizabeth Elder Trophy at the 1963 Edinburgh Festival." Sadly, none of the family have this film ... but it's maybe out there somewhere. I have another "Holy Grail."

The term "Renaissance Man" seems to fit Mr. Torbett to a T !!!

Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

MGs
Pike

Re: Another string to Harvey's bow !

Post by MGs »

AC if it was an official film and not home cine, it is worth trying the BFI. They have a huge archive, not just feature films but all sorts of weird shorts. I spent a few days there, some time ago, whilst doing some post graduate research. In addition they have a significant library of supporting volumes, pamphlets etc. I found the staff there to be very helpful. At worst they may be able to tell you if a copy of the film still exists. I'd love to see it.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Won 5 minutes ago on a certain internet auction site ... the January, 1966 issue of "Creel" magazine with the second half of the article listed in the contents. Hurrah !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

MGs wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 6:16 amAC if it was an official film and not home cine, it is worth trying the BFI.
Good idea, Sir. Enquiries have been started today with the BFI, and the Edinburgh Festival organisers.

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

I didn't know of your quest and the Creel magazine Mal, I`ve got the complete set of the creel magazine, in three volumes, plus a few further magazines to the end of the run. If you need anymore information re articles in the Creel , please let me know......

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Michael wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:54 pm I didn't know of your quest and the Creel magazine Mal, I`ve got the complete set of the creel magazine, in three volumes, plus a few further magazines to the end of the run. If you need anymore information re articles in the Creel , please let me know......
Thank you Michael, Sir. I'll store that information away ... and try not to plague you too much ! :Chuckle:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

The filming instructions are very detailed... Might we see a Mal directed fishing movie recreated from Harvey's original script ? :Wink:
Regards
John

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Keston wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:17 pm The filming instructions are very detailed... Might we see a Mal directed fishing movie recreated from Harvey's original script ? :Wink:
Regards
John
Well ... I do have my father's 8mm cine camera !!! :Chuckle: I think it 'unlikely,' though.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I now have both the December 1965 and January 1966 editions of Creel magazine with the full article ... so here are the scans for anyone who may be interested.

Image Image

Image Image

Return to “Harvey D. Torbett”