My new (very old?) net

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

My new (very old?) net

Post by Wagtail »

Gents :Hat:

Lurking amongst a bundle of old rod sections on ‘that’ auction website was an item described as a ‘rest’ but which looked far more like an old landing net head to my eyes. With no bidders, and seconds to go, I decided to take a punt on it. This is what has arrived and I’m hoping someone can shed some light on it for me please.

It is indeed a landing net; brass spreader mechanism with some type of wood arms that taper down to tube end fittings (one of which has been replaced with a non-brass tube) and a short whole cane handle that looks like it had a ferrule at one time on the far end, presumably for a handle extension.

The maker’s marks on the brass spreader read - J Atherton and Son - on one side and - Sheffield - on the reverse.
The head mechanism is quite clever, unscrew the head from the handle by just a little and you can open or close the arms, tightening up locks the head open nice and securely.

What has surprised me is that the thread to connect the head to the handle is not the standard 3/8 bsf that one might expect :Confused:

So this has got me wondering if the net has some age to it... does it precede the introduction of a standard thread for fishing tackle?

Whatever it is, I think it's great and am thinking of doing it up to make a useable net, but wanted to check before I commit sacrilege by ‘customising’ something that might prove to be rare or valuable :Scared:

Over to you Gents :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Paul D

Re: My new (very old?) net

Post by Paul D »

Now that looks interesting, from what I can see of the thread I'd hazard a guess its a Whitworth thread form and the arms have a "tinge" to them so could well be greenheart which being quite flexible would make sense. A nice find. :Hat:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Well spotted. Looks extremely well made; a nice desirable item. Gimme gimme.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

James Albert Atherton manufacturer of fishing rod fittings, brass and German Silver turner.
Albion Buildings, Charlotte road.
Home. 72 Lancing road
Born 1858 still listed as the above in the 1911 census. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wonderful find ... well done indeed, Sir !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

What a lovely pice of fishing history if it was mine I would put it back to its former glory and restor it I have some very old 8 bores they have been sympathetically restored browned Damascus barrels they are lovely mike

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Smashing find and I think the locking mechanism for the arms is a very clever idea. I look forward to seeing the end result if you decide to, and I hope you do,restore it back to use.

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Glad you like it too, Gents :Hat:

I'm actually a bit smitten with the net (!) and keep picking it up to imagine the netting of a fine Crucian, or Perch, or..... well you get the picture :fishing1: :Chuckle:

Anyhoo, as the consensus is to restore and use it (which is what I hoped to do) then work will begin soon. I have a ferrule set that will fit the end of the existing handle, an old cane rod that will serve to make a handle extension and a new mesh placed on order.

All being well it will be finished in time for the TFF Crucian day in May (if not before)
Harry H wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:28 pm James Albert Atherton manufacturer of fishing rod fittings, brass and German Silver turner.
Albion Buildings, Charlotte road.
Home. 72 Lancing road
Born 1858 still listed as the above in the 1911 census. :Hat:
Many thanks for that information Harry H :Hat: As the inscription is "....and Son" I would imagine that this must date it from around 1900 or a little thereafter. Fascinating stuff :holmes:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”