Another Crabtree net again.

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Old Man River
Eel

Another Crabtree net again.

Post by Old Man River »

Hello again, its been raining non stop for far too long here, I was becoming stir crazy, so I decided to look for a job that has been waiting... I always have a few for emergencies, so looking around, I found a short length of a cane landing net handle with the screw thread fitted ,that had been snapped sometime in its history, too long for a boat net handle,and too short for a conventional landing net handle, it had been propped up in the rod cupboard for far too long.
I alao had a length of much thicker cane,left over from another project, again this was either too long or too short depending what was required.
After a bit of cutting down, the broken end of the thinner net handle fitted niceley into the "Spigot" of the thicker piece, once shaped , glued and whipped, it was very firm, amd made the broken handle once again a useable length, in fact it was over 6ft,and too long for my holdall.
I decided that I would take a leaf from Jeremy"s book and make it a two piece handle, after measuring the length of the holdall, the handle was cut, and after scrattling around in my "bits box" I found a length of 3/8 BSF stainless rod, a suitable brass tube that I tapped out to 3/8 BSF, both bits were adapated to fit in the ends of the two pieces of cane, resined and pegged in place, the handles were whipped and given several coats of Yacht varnish. I had a Marco button for one end, and managed to fashion a second button to screw on the thread on the bottom of the longest part if the handle.

Whilst I had been doing the above, and waiting for glue/varnish to dry I set about making a second Crabtree net head for the handle. It was already in the former,so it was not a long job to finish it off, I had a spare net that fitted niceley.It is exactly the same size as the first net, and identical in the way it has been made..

Here are a couple of pictures of both nets, side by side.

The thicker handle of the shorter net makes it a bit easier to hold, I have problems with both hands making gripping thinner rod handles etc uncomfortable, so hopefully the new "old" net handle will be easier to use if I ever catch anything.
I was wondering how strong the nets would be, so as an experiment I put 10lbs of lead sea fishing sinkers in a bag and lifted the nets with a horizontal lift, they both coped easily without any flexing, so I am confident in using them, the size of the net would preclude me from landing anything bigger than that in them anyway,

The only things that are manufactured outside my workshop were the "Marco" rubber button, and the netting itself, the netting has a few "holes" in it where it has been used before, it will do for me as it gives the whole thing a bit of a "used and vintage " look.

Thank you for reading...

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Another Crabtree net again.

Post by Duebel »

Very well done, OMR!
A decent traditional landing net is the one thing I'm still missing. I will have to make one next winter. There's so much inspiration to be found here ...
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Nice! I like the flame pattern, you're becoming a flaming expert. :Chuckle:
Like the net head too, I want to make one for my handle....Too many ongoing projects at present but hope to do something in time for the cane and pin match. May look out for some green ash and bend it roughly to shape in readiness.....
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Jeremy, We can have a chat about it on the 1st !

OMR

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Old Man River wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:03 pm Jeremy, We can have a chat about it on the 1st !

OMR
Excellent!
Looking forward to some more imparted wisdom from Penninelad, he is a good tutor and will put us on the right track I have no doubt. I have fly fished in the past but not with cane so I may need to adjust my casting to suit a slower actioned rod. In any event it will be a great day out and we will learn a lot!
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Okay, what's in all those jars? Lovely nets too, wish I was that handy.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Great looking nets OMR, proper recycling. Well done .

Now tell us what's in the jars.

Wal.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Marc wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 pm Okay, what's in all those jars? Lovely nets too, wish I was that handy.
Its Sand Marc/Wallys , wherever I go, either abroad or the UK I always collect a spoonfull of sand or whatever, just as something different to postcards....I have sand from the beaches all over Australia, Ayers Rock, Fiji, Africa,The USA, Saudi Arabia ,The Maldives, NewZealand,the Cook Islands, Orkney, Skye, all over Europe, etc etc,volcanic ash from the craters at Vesuvius and Etna, pyroclastic dust from Herculaneum and Pompeii, I think there are over 700 different specimens. It sounded like a good idea when I first started, but now the jars are getting expensive and I keep on having to make more display shelves.
It got worse when my eldest lad ,who is a saturation diver on oil pipelines and rigs started to bring home sand from hundreds of feet below the sea from all over the world as well.

I am always getting asked about my little collection of bottles, at first I asked people to guess what was in the bottles, most said herbs and spices .....I will be OK when the cement arrives though :laugh1:

OMR.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Wow, those are delightful!!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”