Who has what catalogue

This is an index of catalogues held by forum members.
Albert47
Dace

Re: Who has what catalogue

Post by Albert47 »

Brough Hand Made Split Cane Fishing Rods.

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

I've just been up in the loft and amongst a collection of old tackle catalogues I found an Efgeeco catalogue. Does anyone know when Efgeeco ceased to exist?

The catalogue has 1906-1969 in bottom right which indicates that the company started in 1906 and the catalogue was probably printed in 1969.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Pentonhook wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:29 pm Not sure if this should go here, more info for Wal.

Name: William EDMINSON
Given Name: William
Surname: Edminson
Sex: M
Birth: 10 Nov 1906 in Alnwick, Northumberland, England
Death: 22 Dec 1966 in Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Burial: Ashbourne Cemetery
Note: Info from Gedcom file given by Neil MacDonald, 5 Nov 2005. Anne Ford's notes: "Edminson Brothers Fishing Rod Manufacturers - hand built. John (until he emigrated to Southern Rhodesia ahead of William and James. The brothers fell out for a while because William didn't finally want to leave his roots. Father made rods for Princess Elizabeth, as she was then, and the Duke of Edinburgh for their Canadian Tour. He had many famous customers and loads of testimonials. At one point, the President of the New Zealand Bank wanted to set up my father out there but he refused for similar reason as before. After the war, bamboo was almost impossible to get hold of and previous stocks had be lost in a fire. Additionally, it was very difficult to get apprentices in Alnwick, because of Hardy Bro. also having their business in Alnwick. It was a worrying time,. Then Jim died of TB. We moved to Bishop Auckland where Cummins opened up a workshop for Father to make his rods for them to market. We moved to Ashbourne finally and Father joined Foster Bros on a similar basis. father's work is mentioned in 'The Complet Angler' among others. I can't judge, but Uncle John describes Father as a brilliant man. He played the French Horn in many concerts in Alnwick, Bishop Auckland, and for the Operatic Society in Leek. He told me that if he'd had the opportunity when yhoung - he would have liked to make a career out of his music. It was very important to him. He was an avid gardner and repaired everything that went wrong with our home to a very high standard. He was always busy. He was also a marvelous storyteller and had intended to write a book one day. He wrote articles for the Fishing Gazette.
Hi Pentonhook, sorry for not replying sooner but I have just found this today. Thank you very much for posting the above information.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I have an Allcocks Angler's guide 150th Anniversary edition 1803-1953 Coronation Year with a small label on the bottom of the front cover saying Patstone & Cox Ltd 25 High Street, Southampton. There is also a label stuck inside the second page next to the "contents" list which says, Important! All prices in this catalogue are subject to Purchase Tax for details of this see page 32. I can only imagine that I got this catalogue at a car boot sale as I don't collect them. It is in really good condition, are these hard to find?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

They are one of the more collectible Guides, Ted.....not just because of the Coronation, but because they have illustrations of the company's history and famous staff, like Tommy Boswell.

https://www.ukauctioneers.com/auction_c ... agesOnly=N

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I have a couple of Homers of Forest Gate from 1931 + 1950. Image
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Phil Arnott wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm I've just been up in the loft and amongst a collection of old tackle catalogues I found an Efgeeco catalogue. Does anyone know when Efgeeco ceased to exist?

The catalogue has 1906-1969 in bottom right which indicates that the company started in 1906 and the catalogue was probably printed in 1969.
Sundridge Tackle took them over under the guidance of Les Hammond.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Fredline wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:46 am I have a couple of Homers of Forest Gate from 1931 + 1950. Image
These look a bit special John, you do have some fine item's!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Lea Dweller wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:48 pm I have an Allcocks Angler's guide 150th Anniversary edition 1803-1953 Coronation Year with a small label on the bottom of the front cover saying Patstone & Cox Ltd 25 High Street, Southampton. There is also a label stuck inside the second page next to the "contents" list which says, Important! All prices in this catalogue are subject to Purchase Tax for details of this see page 32. I can only imagine that I got this catalogue at a car boot sale as I don't collect them. It is in really good condition, are these hard to find?
Thanks Nobby, I had almost forgotten about this catalogue, I will have to look at it more closely!

Phil Arnott
Crucian Carp

Post by Phil Arnott »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:14 am
Phil Arnott wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:29 pm I've just been up in the loft and amongst a collection of old tackle catalogues I found an Efgeeco catalogue. Does anyone know when Efgeeco ceased to exist?

Sundridge Tackle took them over under the guidance of Les Hammond.
Thanks Shaun - do you have any idea when this occurred and did the Efgeeco name disappear at this time?

Regards,

Phil

Return to “Catalogues Held by Members”