The Old Copper Mine/Beechmere

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
MikeM
Stickleback

The Old Copper Mine/Beechmere

Post by MikeM »

I have just been looking at BB's ,"The Old Coppermine //Beechmere" on Google earth. Is it possible to visit it as I often pass near to Drewsteinton on my way to Cornwall. ?
Looks just like the description in " Confessions"

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: The Old Copper Mine/Beechmere

Post by Loop Erimder »

It's not a place you can just drop in and have a wander. Only a privilege few
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

OldGreyMan

Post by OldGreyMan »

To (briefly) repeat my intro, in the early 1970s I fished the Old Copper Mine courtesy of a friend who identified it from clues in BB's works and had written to him asking if he had it right. At the time you could simply roll up and ask the owner - I can't remember if any money was involved. The owners tipped grain into the shallows to feed the ducks, and you could see the water boiling with carp as they hoovered it up. When I found a swim after negotiating the path round about, the carp were rising out in the middle and I couldn't cast far enough but a half-full bubble float came to the rescue. I only had one, about 4lb, but it did fight.

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Another delightful reference point to history; great memories there OldGreyman. Fantastic.

ExeAngler
Chub

Post by ExeAngler »

There be ghosts up there on the moors me bay...As they would say in my home county. I would truly love to fish there. One for the history and the other because I lived not too far away in Lapford when I was a long boy. If only I had known of it's existence. Maybe the farmer would have looked kindly on me.

OldGreyMan

Post by OldGreyMan »

ExeAngler, I grew up in Exeter and fished the river, canal and South Tawton ponds.

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”