PERCHING AT BLENHEIM

This forum is for discussing perch.
Bob Brookes
Zander

PERCHING AT BLENHEIM

Post by Bob Brookes »

Two weeks today I am afloat with my son, Stuart, at Blenheim Palace lake after perch. I have fished there for perch twice before during the last two seasons and have yet to see one. All I have caught is one small pike on a drop shot fished lob worm.

I would be grateful for any tips and advice on the best approach on this water. Do I stick with the drop shot? Would I do better with a maggot approach? Would chopped worm or small dead baits serve me best? Is the bank between the boat house and the bridge the best location that I think it is?

For someone with some previous success after perch I feel such a novice on this water. HELP! :surrender:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Northern Eel
Chub

Re: PERCHING AT BLENHEIM

Post by Northern Eel »

All I caught this summer was perch, (around 10), although I was aiming for tench, I used three white maggots on a size 14 hook.

all around this sort of size, so nothing spectacular, hopefully you will do better.
"Chasing frothy bubbles while the world is full of troubles"

"Simple pleasures maybe, but very real ones, which seem all the more precious in these restless modern days."

'BB' Denys Watkins-Pitchford

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

We had a TFF day out there in July Bob, not sure if this will help but here is the link.

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... 37&t=15872
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Supposedly a good spot is meant to be by the trees near the boathouse which are in the direction of the bridge.
I was told fishing worms with red maggots and chopped worms is good. There are crayfish so maybe prawns would work.
It is worth spinning and the only big perch I have witnessed there came to a friend's teenage son spinning in the margin up in the channel where it gets very snaggy.
It is worth putting out a deadbait for the pike as well.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Thanks N.E., Mark and Snape for your comments.
I have no misapprehension that it will be easy, but it will always be enjoyable to be in such a fabulous location, afloat with Stuart. It will be the cherry on the cake if one of us catches a perch or two.
I am certainly thinking that a couple of pints of red maggots will be taken and I shall certainly be getting some lobbies! Oh yes, the drop shot gear will be to the fore in my armoury too.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Azur
Dace

Post by Azur »

Hi Bob,

I'm not going this winter but I've been to Blenheim three years on the trot in the hope of catching a nice perch on the lure but have had no success! The first year was a blank - but myself and my father had a great time afloat finding some nice spots. The second year I had seven pike during the day, to 12lbs, all on the dropshot (but no perch!). The third year I replicated my drop-shotting near on exactly - and blanked!

Callum

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

It is certainly a beautiful water but seems to be very moody. I travel with hope but not too much expectation. One thing is certain, I will try all the contents of my box of tricks but, even if they fail, I shall still enjoy the day.
Bob
Callum Harris wrote:Hi Bob,

I'm not going this winter but I've been to Blenheim three years on the trot in the hope of catching a nice perch on the lure but have had no success! The first year was a blank - but myself and my father had a great time afloat finding some nice spots. The second year I had seven pike during the day, to 12lbs, all on the dropshot (but no perch!). The third year I replicated my drop-shotting near on exactly - and blanked!

Callum

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Hello Bob
Fished there with a friend two years ago and struggled even though we had the lake to ourselves midweek.
I fished dead baits for pike and was troubled only by crayfish. In a desperate effort to save a blank I thought I would try a very small rapala minnow and catch a perch from near the bridge (how hard can it be).
At last light two casts under the cover of the bridge resulted in 2 pike!! I will never weigh this game up.
They seemed to have a cormorant issue at that time. I would try any where with cover not easy but a lovely venue.
Best of luck.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello to you all, I have never fished Blenheim; well not that I remember but do catch some nice sized Perch from the Bedford Great Ouse and other waters. I have seen a couple of 5Lb ers and several 3Lb ers come out of various local waters this year here's a typical Bedford Ouse Perch.

Regards Lovatt

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I think its possible that the big perch that resided there have diminished with angling pressure everything goes in cycles, all I know is that I have fished the pool eight years running two sessions a season one pike rod and one perch rod in all those trips I have done well for pike but only had one perch a battle scared old warrior of just over 3lbs.

Return to “Perch (Perca fluviatilis)”