Tackle shop name in Islington, London?

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Tackle shop name in Islington, London?

Post by Das-Bolt »

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of a tackle shop which used to be in New North Rd. just down from the j/w Essex Rd. in Islington N1. This would have been in the 1960's. Where I first laid my eyes on all those lovely split cane rods which I could never afford on £5 a week as an apprentice. Anyone help? (I mean name that shop, not buy me a rod). I thank you.

Jardine
Perch

Re: Tackle shop name in Islington, London?

Post by Jardine »

Hi,
would it have been Ashpoles of Islington?
Best regards
Mem

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

I am pretty sure that Ashpoles was in Green Lanes near to the junction with Newington Green?

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

You're right on that one Lea Dweller, I couldn't remember where New North Road is and have just looked it up.
Its too far away to have been the shop DB was thinking of.
As schoolboys we used to pay for our fishing tackle in installments and Fred Ashpole used to write it down in a book.
I think the shop is still there.
Best regards
Mem

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Thanks Jardine. There must be someone out there who remembers? I used to buy my maggots there for fishing the Regents canal down by the bridge in Shepherdess Walk where the Pilkington glass factory used to be or maybe I'm having a Hillary Clinton moment!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Hi Das-Bolt, a friend of mine used to live in the area and this was his local tackle shop. He remembers it well because when he was at school he had to build a diorama of the inside of a shop he knew well. This was the shop he chose and he used a toilet roll for the barrel of sawdust that stood in front of the counter that was for the maggots. Apparently Keith Arthur used to work there. It was opposite a pub called the Castle. What was the name of this tackle shop---- "Vics". You may now rest easy. Fredline.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Das-Bolt
Gudgeon

Post by Das-Bolt »

Thanks Fredline, and well done for keeping me in suspense to the end. I can indeed rest easy now. All the best.

Roachtench
Ruffe

Post by Roachtench »

“I am pretty sure that Ashpoles was in Green Lanes near to the junction with Newington Green?”

Indeed.. Ashpoles of Islington was at 15 Green Lanes, Islington N16. It’s telephone number was 226 6575

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”