Aspindale 896 Avon

The James Aspindale and Sons Rods forum.
Jon Math
Minnow

Aspindale 896 Avon

Post by Jon Math »

I took a chance on a vintage Ebay rod and am rather pleased with what I received. I have to assume the center section is not original to the rod as it is decidedly different in both color and grain pattern. The guides, finish and thread wraps match the other sections; the rod was sold as reconditioned. This is the first rod that I own with blued end connectors, I really like the touch of class they add. As long as I don't do anything stupid it should be fishing for many years to come.

My type keeps showing up in the wrong places; usually clutching a severed head in one hand and a knife in the other…so it's not catch me if you can, it's catch me if you dare.

SeanM
Tench

Re: Aspindale 896 Avon

Post by SeanM »

That looks nice. Having owned and used one I can confirm that they make an excellent all-round float rod.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Jon Math
Minnow

Post by Jon Math »

SeanM wrote:That looks nice. Having owned and used one I can confirm that they make an excellent all-round float rod.

Great to know, Thanks!!
My type keeps showing up in the wrong places; usually clutching a severed head in one hand and a knife in the other…so it's not catch me if you can, it's catch me if you dare.

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Lovely looking rod Jon

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

...... It does say in the listing .....

" when I got the rod it had a short middle section so I made an exact copy using the original ferrules and the same dimensions as the original mid section, "

Jon Math
Minnow

Post by Jon Math »

Yes I knew something was done with the center section from the listing. I was incorrectly assuming it would be a rebuilding of the original cane. That does not matter to me at all; I purchased this rod as a user not as a collector. The man who did the work is amazing. The piece of cane he selected matches the ends of the two existing lengths like it was cut from the same stalk. As I said I am very pleased with the rod, and would not hesitate to buy from the gentleman again.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Jon Math wrote:Yes I knew something was done with the center section from the listing. I was incorrectly assuming it would be a rebuilding of the original cane. That does not matter to me at all; I purchased this rod as a user not as a collector. The man who did the work is amazing. The piece of cane he selected matches the ends of the two existing lengths like it was cut from the same stalk. As I said I am very pleased with the rod, and would not hesitate to buy from the gentleman again.
That's a fine recommendation.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Jon Math
Minnow

Post by Jon Math »

I finally got a chance to try the rod. It was a nasty cold day with a stiff breeze and the river levels are really low locally. I caught more snags and tangles from the wind than fish, but I was extremely pleased with my new old rod. I have fished a lot of bamboo fly rods and own one newly made cane Avon rod so this Aspin is my first try with a vintage coarse rod, and I’m hooked!

We are into deer hunting season now, and the ice will be forming any day now so my fishing is severely limited until spring but I can hardly wait. I need to find myself a proper carp rod next!

Return to “Aspindale and Sons Cane Rods”