Fusilli Fins and heart failure

This forum is for discussing carp.
Trilob
Chub

Fusilli Fins and heart failure

Post by Trilob »

picked this image of the web to illustrate the following:

im not a fan of using the anal fin as handle, turning the fin into an unnatural position. Ive seen carp caught with the anal fin deformed (and i think) because of this. look at the bones. they are easy to damage.

While investigating the subject I also found another issue with holding carp. Apparently there are some cases of heavy carp losing their life shortly after capture, and some people address this as the problem; The heart from a carp is in between the pectoral fins and this is the place most fisherman hold their captures. I read the gravity can cause to much pressure on a carp heart. I didn't know about this, but it is something that keeps my mind busy...

any thoughts?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Fusilli Fins and heart failure

Post by Dave Burr »

A thought provoking post Trilob and something that must always be considered when handling any fish.

Carp are hardy creatures but mishandling can damage the fins. I have mentioned on here before about the number of fish I see posed with a pelvic fin bent forward under the fish. In the old days salmon anglers always lifted their fish by the tail but it has been proved that most die soon after release because of the practice.

Trilob
Chub

Post by Trilob »

If I ever catch my first salmon I will keep that in mind, thanks!

the pelvic fin bent forward is sadly still an issue, but most people know about this. Ive seen it in many movies (online and dvd) that people are made aware of 'keepin the fins flat to the body, in the net and on the mat'. So I got good hope most people will learn, sooner or later.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

No problem with raising fish care issues on any thread from my perspective Trilob... I always worry about this sort of thing.

My take on it is that we put fish at risk every time we lift them for the camera. Just think of the strain on the spine for example, with a fish of this size that is normally supported in water? and the pressures on the internal organs in the same context? I think the stress on the fin bones is a minimal risk, as long as the angler isn't taking the weight of the fish on those bones but is using the fin merely as a means of stopping the hand slipping.... A far greater risk is one of dropping the fish... Just a personal point of view and we must each take as much care as we can whenever we handle our quarry. Then again, I've seen lots of fish damaged by being dropped over the years but have never seen the sort of damage you describe. A thought provoking post!

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

It would probably help if anglers held fish upside-down, so the soft innards are supported by the solid muscle of the back and sides, rather than the other way around.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Vole wrote:It would probably help if anglers held fish upside-down, so the soft innards are supported by the solid muscle of the back and sides, rather than the other way around.
Can't remember where I read it but it was much the same as you suggest "When weighing or carrying a fish in a sling or net keep it on its back to relieve pressure on its internal organs." :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”