Fred Crouch Barbel

The J. S. Sharpe Ltd rods forum.
QuinetteCane
Rudd

Fred Crouch Barbel

Post by QuinetteCane »

Image Image Image Image Image
I thought as this model has not been mentioned there may be some interest.
Bad light has affected picture quality and it had started to rain by the last frame.

Better mention it is 11'6" and 17.5oz not one to be held for long. although tucked under the arm improves matters.
A Whopper Stopper.
Enjoy.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Fred Crouch Barbel

Post by Dave Burr »

I used Fred's for a while during a fish together and I agree with what you say about the weight, its heavy!

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I had a pair of them, I think 11 & 12 of a limited edition of 25. I never really got on with them and we soon parted as I had other rods I preferred using at the time. I thought they were a bit floppy.

The first time I came across them was at a NASA conference at Loughborough about 25 years ago where Fred was selling them. There was also a Bruce and Walker stand with the range of their new Hexagraph coarse rods. I bought from them an Avon, rated at 13/8 test. I still have that rod and it is still a favourite of mine for floater fishing. It has undergone a few changes to both rings, a screw winch fitting and now has brass reinforced ferrules, pucker!
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I knew the chap who was helping to make them, I think it was Phil Healy from memory - does that name ring a bell with anyone?

I kicked myself a few years ago when an unused one came up on that auction site at £185. I delayed and in the morning it was gone!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Total agreement with Dave & Bob, I`d consider it probably one of the heaviest cane barbel rod going..... Bob, the Hexagraph Avon, I truly regret selling mine years ago, the preverbal doggies doo daas.....

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

I have a recent copy of that rod. It does feel floppy to handle but fishes well with fish up to 10lb seeming to iron out the floppiness.
It is heavy though!
Just out of interest QuinetteCanes, mine isn't a Scotty, but built by a bloke from Hull, is the separate handle weighted and generally on all models of this rod?

I didn't like it when I was blanking with it but now it's experienced fish I do.

QuinetteCane
Rudd

Post by QuinetteCane »

Hi Fred.
The separate handle appears to be of solid wood, smothered each end with a translucent resin which makes it difficult
to be sure.
The handle alone weighs in at 7.5oz its POB is centred so not tail weighted and it has a massive 12mm ferrule.
I wouldnt say mine feels floppy just overlong(Oh Dear). I believe they have a reputation for being of variable quality.
I do like your sentiment sans catching !

It's never gonna match a Hexagraph but not sure that counts.

In confidence, I own one or two, different animals entirely.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Tengisgol wrote:I knew the chap who was helping to make them, I think it was Phil Healy from memory - does that name ring a bell with anyone?

I kicked myself a few years ago when an unused one came up on that auction site at £185. I delayed and in the morning it was gone!
Nobby or Chris Ball should be able to confirm for certain. I spoke with Phil at Scotties but I never knew his surname. I had various things on order with them but after waiting for thirteen months with no contact to explain the delays I cancelled. That was in the days when there weren't significant waiting lists or long lead times as there now are.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

QuinetteCane wrote:Hi Fred.
The separate handle appears to be of solid wood, smothered each end with a translucent resin which makes it difficult
to be sure.
The handle alone weighs in at 7.5oz its POB is centred so not tail weighted and it has a massive 12mm ferrule.
I wouldnt say mine feels floppy just overlong(Oh Dear). I believe they have a reputation for being of variable quality.
I do like your sentiment sans catching !

It's never gonna match a Hexagraph but not sure that counts.

In confidence, I own one or two, different animals entirely.

Thanks for responding. I just weighed my handle,(ok I've been down the pub, and don't want to keep getting up) which is cork. It's weight is a tad in excess of 8.5ozs, the pob is also centred.The ferrule is even bigger, internally 14mm (16mm). It appears that perhaps the interior "weight" is a "silver metal" tube throughout the length of the handle.This means that the cork is effectively a veneer of around 5mm.

Interesting

Return to “J. S. Sharpe Ltd Cane Rods”