looking for new/unusual ta tics for a small water.

This forum is for discussing carp.
Davyr

Re: looking for new/unusual ta tics for a small water.

Post by Davyr »

Depends what else is in there, but if there isn't a lot of small stuff to pester you, carp like maggots as much as most other fish do. Where there are lots of small roach and perch, I usually try the biggest lobworms I can find (2 on a size 4, if necessary).

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Try same tactics with a small cube of luncheon meat on a no. 10 or 12. You are less likely to be pestered by smaller species.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Dynamite, been used for years! Very effective, but no way of 'sorting' out the smaller fish. Sorry. Slowly sinking bread free lined, introduced just in the path of the fish... Can be deadly and really exciting, and you can pick your fish!- snails as well. Crush the shell a bit (poor things!). Nymphing with a gold head is something I fancy trying as well... Good ol dog biscuits. Free running 1/2 oz or smaller lead with a running float stopped well up the line. Fished with a tight line so the float cocks. Sometimes works wonders, sometimes not at all. A twig as a float fixed at each end to the line via a notch and with about two inches of hook lenth dangling off with 3 or 4 casters on arranged to look like an emerging grub. Don't laugh, I missed what would have been my largest redmire carp using this method (my own fault, stuck hard and pulled the bait straight out of its mouth with out it touching the sides). To keep the stick on for longer casts use a bit of pva tape at each end - you want the stick to come off, bit only on the strike. Also glueing a cricket (or similar) on would probably work.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

How about free lining? :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I know someone that catches carp using Dairylee cheese triangles and cheese slices; the plastic stuff. Mold a wadge around yer hook, dip in the water to cool and firm up, then cast!!! One can freeline or float fish with the stuff.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Smallscale wrote:What does freelining involve?
Cheese huh...
That's good, I'll try that.
I guess feelining is hook to mainline, with bait, chucked out, and hit it when the line runs out?
Sounds cool.
Yes pretty much, you wait for the line to go tight and strike... or there about anyway. :)
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

I've yet had success with it but I'm sure it should work to have a live cricket or grasshopper freelined.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”