They are spawning

This forum is for discussing carp.
StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

They are spawning

Post by StalkingLuke »

Just got back from a flooded field close to the River Adur, West Sussex and although its been cool they are at it all ready!
Will post some pics later, I rescued a few stranded ones left high and dry as the water recedes.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

JerryC
Crucian Carp

Re: They are spawning

Post by JerryC »

stalkingluke wrote:Just got back from a flooded field close to the River Adur, West Sussex and although its been cool they are at it all ready!
Will post some pics later, I rescued a few stranded ones left high and dry as the water recedes.
Are you sure that they were not just stranded, carp start ovarian development when the water temperature has remained constant at a temperature above 10C. Then spawning will not generally occur until the water temperature has stabilized at above 18C. The carp and tench here are not even carrying spawn.
If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything...........

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

JerryC wrote:
stalkingluke wrote:Just got back from a flooded field close to the River Adur, West Sussex and although its been cool they are at it all ready!
Are you sure that they were not just stranded, carp start ovarian development when the water temperature has remained constant at a temperature above 10C. Then spawning will not generally occur until the water temperature has stabilized at above 18C. The carp and tench here are not even carrying spawn.
I was surprised to see them spawning so soon after the cool wet April but there was no doubt about what they were up to, two of the bigger fish I rescued deposited eggs all over me which I thought was a bit ungrateful as within a day or so the pool they were in will have soaked away completely!

Last year they spawned on the 21st of April in the same flooded field (that time by controlled flooding) during a much warmer spring, so my only guess is that the water which is run off from the surrounding fields and has been present for 15 days now has warmed up quickly and triggered spawning. The strange thing is that these carp disappear in the summer into narrow drainage ditches as there is no way back to the main river. It could make for some fun stalking.
P1020677.JPG
P1020669.JPG
P1020636.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

The dirty, filthy, randy lucky buggers. :hahaha:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

StalkingLuke
Crucian Carp

Post by StalkingLuke »

I was on my way home from a meeting so dressed smarter than I usually am, but arrived home covered in slime and fish eggs. I think my wife thinks I joined in the fishy orgy, she didn't ask questions just shook her head.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

stalkingluke wrote:I was on my way home from a meeting so dressed smarter than I usually am, but arrived home covered in slime and fish eggs. I think my wife thinks I joined in the fishy orgy, she didn't ask questions just shook her head.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

They have started on one of my waters too, and apparently a few venues in France also....
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”