growth rate?

This forum is for discussing carp.
JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

growth rate?

Post by JimmyBobkin »

I read somewhere the average growth rate of Carp but, for the life of me, I cannot remember where? If a water was stocked with fry in 2002, what is the maximum size of Carp in a small water one can expect now? I know there are many variables but an idea? :fish:

Snape
Bailiff

Re: growth rate?

Post by Snape »

Not certain but there could certainly be some good doubles if not 20s there by now.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

An old pool of mine not too many miles away from Redmire, we stocked with 12 carp all 1lb in weight. 5 years later I witnessed one of those carp caught at 15lb 7 ounces.

There are so many different variables, strain of carp,size of water, volume of natural foods, climate, whether the water contains predators.........etc, that will determine how fast a carp will or won't grow.

Edit,

3 acre pool.

it looks very much different to that now. :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sparsholt college have under ideal conditions grown carp to 20lb in 2 years!
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Snape wrote:Sparsholt college have under ideal conditions grown carp to 20lb in 2 years!
I'm reading "Four seasons" again and in there CY mentions carp putting on 10lb per year. I don't doubt it if the conditions are right. I also have a mate in Sparsholt and he was saying that every now and again from a hatch of eggs you'll find a fish that piles on more weight than others.....a freak of nature so to speak.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

The Old Buffer
Crucian Carp

Post by The Old Buffer »

The breed of carp will also effect the growth rate with mirror carp having a faster growth rate than the common.
The coiled line travels from the reel, it brings up at last, the hook goes home, and then begins the test of skill. "BB"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It all depends on the strain of fish, the stocking density, the food availability and temperature which is why French carp tend to grow bigger than ours. Simmo carp grow fast and will easily make 3lbs or more a year.

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

The venue I am referring to was one I first fished soon after opening and I caught loads of tiny fingerling Carp, both mirrors and commons. Recently, I caught a fish of about 10lb but I have seen bigger in the margins. Thanks for the replies, very interesting.

Return to “Carp (Cyprinus carpio)”