REDMIRE - SILT ?

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Barbulus
Tench

REDMIRE - SILT ?

Post by Barbulus »

Good morning fellow TFF'ers .....after some difficulty logging in this morning I may say !

I would much appreciate any "insider information" from any experienced Redmire folk on silt at Redmire and the nature of the "bottom". I make the assumption, having never as yet been there, that there will be some accumulation of silt at the dam/overflow end as an example.

Is the silt significant in some areas.....inches or centimetres.....maybe even feet.....I appreciate I shall have to "find out" and "best guess" but just wanted to arm myself with some advance knowledge of particular swims and areas...margins or central channel....as part of my preparations......I intend a mix of float fishing, surafec fishing and of course bottom fishing ......assuming I can find the fish moving....as location is of course "all" regardless of where one fishes.

Many thanks for any "insider information" in advance....open forum or via PM would be much appreciated....

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: REDMIRE - SILT ?

Post by Loop Erimder »

You may well get a few answers on here but I would suggest popping over to the Redmire forum as there will be more knowledgable folk there like nick or admin I can't help but it was de silted a number of years back. On google earth if you go back in time you can see the silt ponds to the north east of the pool and what looks like a net across the pool. Many think that's a netting of the pool which is incorrect
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

It varies enormously. In some places the bottom is surprisingly firm but in others the silt is several feet deep. In the extreme shallows if you wade out you'll be up to your knees or deeper.
This year the silt is bad as it was run off from the fields in the floods and the pool is highly coloured but not the Redmire red colour, more brown and there is almost no weed.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

The silt this year is pretty bad, and steps will be taken in the near future to combat it. It's them potato farmers what are to blame!!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Thanks gentlemen for the replies. I hope no-one starts digging out silt at the end of September though ! Eeeeeeek !

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

No, I'm sure they won't! Popped down on Saturday and it's looking good- however... That was before the rain!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “Redmire Pool”