Altex

The Hardy Reels forum.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Altex

Post by Nobby »

Nicely done! I really feel handles are important...you feel everything through the handle.....

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Here we go. A good deal cleaner, both inside and out than when it arrived. I had considered a repaint. However, the colour, as discussed in other threads is hard to match. Besides, a few battle scars show that it has been used. Picture 3 shows the new, slightly proud copper washer
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Now that you've got it spot-on a blob of melted candle wax into that open oil port will keep the dirt out :Thumb:

I notice the rear-most screw on the left hand side of the body is a large, odd size. It might be worth popping the rear hatch off and making sure it isn't too long as well as the end of a pin has to traverse along a track held in place by those two screws.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Nobby, thanks. Just checked, no more screw insertion on the larger headed screw than the one next to it and no visible fouling

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Perfect...that's a keeper then! Lovely reels.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Anyone know what the thread is on those small retaining screws? I may have a hunt for a more appropriate replacement

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I think these were fitted retrospectively and the threads may vary. I did wonder if yours had had a thread damaged and the thread then tapped out to a larger size and an appropriately larger screw fitted to suit. You could always dress that existing screwhead down to the same head size as the other ..or maybe just try and look at it as part of the reel's history now that you know nothing is untoward inside.

Return to “Hardy Reels”