Angler scout reels, info required please gentlemen.

The Other Reels forum.
Robbi
Tench

Angler scout reels, info required please gentlemen.

Post by Robbi »

Not quite sure why but I like these reels, they're pretty basic but do exactly what it says on the tin and being a side caster is great.

Now then, my question is this, how many models were made ., I know there are the following.....

8 - 60

8 - 80

8 - 100

I believe there is an 8 - 120 as well but I've never seen one

Can anyone help ?

Are there any more ?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Angler scout reels, info required please gentlemen.

Post by Dave Burr »

Here's one

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

What model is that Dave ? I've never seen handles like that before..

Edit......

Dave, please ignore my stupidity, it's early and I haven't had enough beer yet ! I've just twigged that that is in fact an 8 - 120

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Just found out there's an 8 - 50 as well.

That must be very small indeed.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Yes, its the 120, I've got a 100 and gave my lad an 80 some time back. They aren't the most sophisticated reel out there but they do a job and they are very cheap :Thumb:

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

I love these reels, as Dave say's they are cheap but do a very capable job.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Imported by Allcocks, after the Shakespeare take-over, .... via America, .... but they were actually made in Japan..probably better travelled than most of us....

Ive used one for years in the workshop to take line off a spool that needs re-doing, maybe after a break or a knot, and the ratchet lets me put it back on again under tension. Great to hole in the vice as I can turn it around on its rod mounting to get the direction right.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a manky 8-100 (4" dia) and I have recently purchased a nice looking, good conditioned 80-S under the name of Champion this is a much smaller reel (3.5" dia) on the same sidecast principle... same build but lighter materials as the bigger counterparts
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

This post on another forum:
I think the Angler Scout Series (8-50. 8-60, 8-80. 8-100 and 8-120)
was built in japan in the early sixties. The special fact by your reel is the second handle at the back of the reel. I haven´t see such model.
The firm DAM/germany imported and sold Angler Scout reels named 1105, 1106, 1108 and 1110.
Other reels from the firm Angler were Bonal 661 (first and second model), Jet 550, Golden Tiger and so on.
The Slogan from the firm was "Made by angler for anglers"
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Dear All,

Not sure if any of you are interested in reviving this conversation - but I was hoping for some guidance please?

These quirky reels recently caught my attention when I went in search of a 'good value' (cheap) version of the side-casting J W Youngs reel which Ray Walton put his name on.

Well, inevitably the Angler Scout soon emerged from Google, and as luck would have it, a lot of three were on eBay looking for a good home. I think I was the only bidder, maybe one other, and snaffled the trio for just over £20 including the postage - bargain!

So now I am the very proud owner of an 8-80, 8-100 & 8-120. The two smaller ones were in good condition and cleaned up a treat, and with a drop or three of sewing machine oil they now actually spin surprisingly quietly, and pretty smoothly (all things considered).

But the larger 8-120 (pale blue with white handles) spins with a proper 'rasp' and, having applied my usual level of 'furkling power' to it, I have basically decided that the issue is either a) The reel has lost a necessary spacer/washer/shim which would allow a smoother rotation at the base of the central column, or b) The reel was designed that way, and so the rather agricultural sound of the reel is simply down to the basic design of it.

Have other owners of the 8-120 noticed that the spool cog mechanism seems to simply sit, and turn, directly on the circular metal base of the central column? The smaller models have a step incorporated at the base of their central column which improves the spinning potential no end, the larger one doesn't seem to have anything doing the same job...any thoughts?

To be honest, I'm not at all bothered about this - just curious, and am planning a grand baptism for that largest reel at our annual Christmas pike fishing social, the thought of playing a big'un on that reel makes me grin just thinking about it! To be honest, a bit of rattling and rasping will just add to the theatre of it all.

The middle sized one (8-100) is going to be pressed into action for a bit of meat rolling for chub and (hopefully) barbel, I reckon it'll do that job nicely...and as for the little 8-80, erm....well, I suppose I'll think of something!

Best wishes to all, and thanks for reading my waffle - any thoughts, comments or suggestions greatly welcomed as ever.

Good luck & best regards,

Jim

Return to “Other Reels”