Any Ideas?

The Milwards Rods forum.
Kingfisher
Catfish

Re: Any Ideas?

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks Gord and Dave.

Gord, there are marks on the butt of this where it looks like a guide was fitted. I'll definately be fitting one when I refurbish it. The other two rods still haven't arrived by the way but I'll let you know what the second rod is when it turns up.

We posted the same time and yours went through but not mine. No it isn't mate. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

The nearest to it in looks in my 1953 catalogue is the Spincraft Major but this has a 28 inch handle and is designed to cast around an ounce.

The heavier rods are the Spinmaster and the Pikemaster which both came in 3 piece form, but were 9 footers and had a a long "trumpet" handle. The Spinmaster was double built.

My best guess is an early version of the Pikemaster or a "special".
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Thanks for that Sean. Lets hope i can do it justice. :Hat:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The very early Milwards rods, like so many from Allcocks, don't always have names. I'd say it's a pike spinning or dead-baiting rod and might make a reasonable carp stalker too, but I'm very concerned about a kick in the tip section right on the third ring from the tip.

I'd recommend giving that rod a right old bend before you spend hours on it in restoration, just in case. It might be that the kick can be taken out over a small flame....even a candle will do if patient, but it does look a lot like failed cane firbes I fear.
I do hope not.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

SeanM wrote:The nearest to it in looks in my 1953 catalogue is the Spincraft Major but this has a 28 inch handle and is designed to cast around an ounce.

The heavier rods are the Spinmaster and the Pikemaster which both came in 3 piece form, but were 9 footers and had a a long "trumpet" handle. The Spinmaster was double built.

My best guess is an early version of the Pikemaster or a "special".
hi sean as you have a catalogue can you see if the three piece pikemaster has a ring on the butt section as mine doesnt and there is no sign of one ever being there and it was with original varnish with no restoration, it seems odd to me
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Hi Gord. Unfortunately the catalogue only shows the 8 1/2 ft version which is a two piece. As near as I can estimate from the drawing the butt ring is about 18 in above the top of the handle.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Gord
Crucian Carp

Post by Gord »

thanks for looking sean, so if any body has the specs fora three piece pike master could you help me out
when you are going through hell just keep on going (winston churchill)

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”