Reflections From The Waters Edge John Bailey

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Pedro

Re: Reflections From The Waters Edge John Bailey

Post by Pedro »

Reflections is one of my favourite books and usually comes out once a year,Johns early books were 1st class in my opinion.
I too fished the Chase when I was about 12/13 years old around 1960 before going on to Hainault and Dagenham lake for the wily old Carp.
Infact I caught my 1st Tench from the Chase on honey paste,happy days indeed.

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Good to meet another local Pedro. Talking of Dagenham lake, have you seen the recent thread on Dick Walker. If you didn't already know the full history, it's an eye opener !!
regards Mark

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Old Nell wrote:Good to meet another local Pedro. Talking of Dagenham lake, have you seen the recent thread on Dick Walker. If you didn't already know the full history, it's an eye opener !!
regards Mark
I might have mentioned this before but I discovered recently that the grandfather of a family friend was the person that made the proposal to stock the Dagenham Lake with carp at the Becontree and District AS general meeting in 1932! Little did he know what impact that would have on the shape of angling. There is a great chapter on the lake in 'A History of Carp Fishing'.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Old Nell

Post by Old Nell »

Certainly did impact. At a quick glance it looks like there were more caught there than at a slightly more famous Welsh border water .
Mark

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

I love reflections the chapter on winter Roach fishing at Christmas time is great.

I used to fish the chase quit a bit and Vallance Moat too. My main stamping grounds in the 80's where Connaught Waters, Highmans Park and my favourite, Wanstead Ornamentals, used to have great bags of Crucian from there. After that I did a lot of Chub chasing on the Wanstead Stretch of the Roding, Then got into Sea fishingBboat) in a big way for about 12 years.

I fish Hainult again a few years back, nothing special a few Roach and Perch, its now on a ticket with Fairlop and you have to go to fairlop to get a ticket not much good for youngsters.

Used to fish Rapheals Park a lot as well, they've had a bit of a spruce up over there so I'll be taking my little boy for a go in a few weeks.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Gaz, let us know when you are over at Raphaels Park and I may try and get over there with my boys to say hello.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”